Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

iPhone X - The huge delay.

Jfagan
3: Seeker

Good afternoon, 

This is my first post on the Vodafone Community Forum as I ought to make an account to post about the experience I, and clearly a lot of other Vodafone customers, are having.

I decided to order the iPhone X 64GB Silver model as an early upgrade, simply because I was robbed and lost my phone with no insurance and I had a family member critically ill in hospital at this time, so I thought, I really need a phone so I can keep in contact or in case the hospital was to phone me if anything was to happen or their health was to worsen.

I also needed this phone for work, to keep up with my work schedules and to stay in contact with my colleagues, friends and obviously family.

I was going through the deal with a member of staff through the phone, in which I was told the device would be delivered within 7-10 days (and then almost immediately thereafter, 3-5 working days I was told). Yeah. Not a great start. Just 3 minutes after I placed the order for the iPhone X, I got an email from Vodafone saying as followed: "We know having to wait is frustrating, but don’t worry - you’ve got a spot on the waiting list and we’ll send your item(s) out as soon as possible. All items are sent on a first-come, first-served basis.

Just to let you know, our customer service team won’t be able to give you any more information on your order at the moment, but we’ll be back in touch in three days with an update."

Obviously this made me irate, considering just seconds ago I placed an order with such a massive company and I was not made aware of it being out of stock until after the Vodafone staff member put the phone down on me!

I waited 3 days.. then I received an e-mail, I was excited to open it, hoping it was my order confirmation finally but no, I was told to wait 4 days for an update again. 

I've been 're-assured' by the Vodafone team that I will have it as soon as possible because you are working 'very closely with the manufacturer' -- this isn't re-assuring at all. In fact, it's the least re-assuring thing ever because they say it in every single email they send after having me wait days for an update. It's like we are baited in by your professional staff to buy your products, without actually having it in stock. It's a disgrace for customer service.

Would also like to add that after I went home from visiting in the hospital yesterday, the member of my family passed away (the hospital tried to call me) and because I have no phone I had no way of finding out until I visited the hospital the next day.

Incredible.

To put these matters aside though, I really am just wanting some actual information from yourselves. There is NO way at all that there is not a single department in Vodafone that can give staff information on stock take and delivery dates of stock. 

We just want some information Vodafone!

If you dont want to give us some information then the iPhone X being delivered to my door tomorrow would most certainly suffice.

I sincerely apologise if I have come across as rude or offensive in this post, I do not mean it to be that way, but I really do believe Vodafone should pull their finger out, every other carrier has them in stock.

Thanks in advance for any advice/information offered.

11 REPLIES 11

Jfagan

Of course, nothing. Why am I not surprised?

donnyguy
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

My previous phone broke so I decided to buy an iPhone X from Apple.

The stock checker on the site is very accurate. They have devices in stock.

Why not just order it from them?

If you're not up for paying for the handset in one go then they offer 6, 12, 18 or 24 monthly payments.

Combine that with a sim-free deal and you'll probably find you're paying less per month than you would paying one monthly charge to Vodafone.

This'll speed things up for you.

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hi @Jfagan

Good advice by @donnyguy

As far as I’m aware Apple Stores can upgrade a person in a store for their contract. (My apologies if that’s now changed).

If it is still possible then you’d have to first cancel the order with Vodafone. 

Also you could check in a store to see if they have a pool of stock and if they do an option is to cancel your current order and do this in store. Unfortunately the store can not assign a phone to your current order as they have their own pool of stock for in house new contracts and upgrades. 

Now as a former user of iPhones over the years I’m well aware of the usual delays connected to an Apple iPhone Launch. 

Dates have always slipped on pretty much all the Networks. 

The Network Agents i assume have a line of sight in regards to stocking levels but this can change rapidly. Especially with this 10 Year Anniversary iPhone. 

Personally as I also bought my iPhones from the Apple Store I preferred to wait until the frenzy had died down and I had chance to view YouTube reviews so I hopefully covered that I didn’t buy a lemon!

Im sorry to read of your experiences with your order. 

Delays can also be attributed to the colour of the phone and the capacity chosen too. 

Another preference of mine is to have a cheap back up smartphone as a just in case. One I bought brand new from a Supermarket was around £30. 

That or there’s usually someone in my circle of friends and family who have a spare phone sitting in a drawer. 

I totally understand that buying a phone sim free is initially expensive and is only viable if disposable income is available. I save all year to buy my phones. 

But buying sim free and then choosing a sim only plan can be less expensive in the long run. 

I wish you all the best and that you receive the phone ASAP.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

@donnyguy @BandOfBrothers

Unfortunately I'm not able to order through Apple and cancel as I've already paid the upfront fee and don't really have any more disposable income (I'm 19 with not such a great career) so can't be affording to buy one directly from the Apple store.

It is just extremely frustrating to know that if I had ordered with someone else or with Apple directly, I would almost certainly have the phone by now.

Thank you all for your help, your answers have been really great, if I was somewhat richer you most definitely would have provided a solution, nevertheless I really do appreciate both of your replies!

BandOfBrothers

You'e very welcome @Jfagan

Other networks and independents will have been  / still being affected by stocking levels.

I'ts not guaranteed you would have been supplied a unit elsewhere. 

Sadly when a new flagship iPhone is released its always the same story with some feeling disappointed. 

That said now the frenzy has died down a little hopefully youll be supplied one asap. 

As I mentioned I save each month throughout the year so I have disposable income to buy my next phone or wait for the next one. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

@BandOfBrothers yep, nothing new with Apple. I waited until Jan last year and got my iPhone 7 within 3 days. Should've realised the demand really with this one.

Just hoping its here before Christmas!

John
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@Jfagan I'm sorry to hear what's happened. I can understand how frustrating it can be when your waiting to get your hands on a new phone. 
Please keep your eye on our delivery tracker for updates on the arrival of your phone.

Thanks @John but that's exactly like the same message I've been receiving for 3 weeks now.

Delivery tracker is still on order placed, not even confirmed.

Was going to swap with o2 as they have it in stock but can't get this order cancelled as I have no phone to ring up

Finally, a Christmas Miracle has happened!

I was about to cancel my order today but told myself to stop being such an impatient ##~##, so I held off. 

*Few hours later*

We'll deliver your Vodafone parcel tomorrow...

I never thought I'd hear the words! Thank you!