main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

iOS

iPhone X home screen issue

SOLVED
View solved solution
Hm14
2: Seeker

I have the iPhone X 64gb in silver. The issue I have is this and wondered if any other user has come across it. On the locked home screen to the left of the “notch” are the words “Vodafone UK” which scroll and slide from right to left. This is constant while the screen is locked. It does have a momentary pause but keeps flowing. On mine it stays frozen so all you see is “odafone u” as the other letters are hidden as it is not scrolling! Only once the phone is turned off and on will it work but once you have unlocked and lock again it freezes and stays frozen. I have updated the lates iOS, reset erased restored with and without back up and even been to the Genius Bar where they replaced my handset but the problem is still there. I’ve run out of options and it’s taken so much time with all the resetting and restoring I’ve had enough! It’s not a big thing but it’s annoying as it’s there and it shouldn’t be. Has anyone else noticed this or come across it? And I’ve checked other phones and it should scroll and not be frozen! Any suggestions?

View more options
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Alex
Administrator

@Hm14 @jeffkinn @donnyguy I wasn't on the latest version of iOS, so last night I updated to iOS 11.2 and now my 'Vodafone UK' doesn't scroll anymore and is static in the top left, slightly cut off on either side. 

I thought this may be helpful to see what has caused this change 🙂

Just to add - my iPhone X was purchased directly from Apple and I'm on a SIM only contract. 

View solution in original position

View more options
50 REPLIES 50
BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hi @Hm14

Apart from swapping out did the guys at the Apple Genius Bar have any idea what' happening with it  

One of the members here I know has that model of iPhone. @jeffkinn does yours scroll as it should?

Current Phone >

Samsung Z Fold³ 5G.

Previous Phone >

Samsung Note 20 Ultra 5G - SM9860.

View more options
jeffkinn

I've never looked at it before but mine is exactly the same. I'm sure I've seen some scrolling in the past so perhaps the latest version of iOS has changed something in the way the screen works. So both our phones are working as the should be I would say. When the phone is unlocked the time appears to the left of the notch and not the network name at all. I know what network I'm on at home - whey do I need to see it? Even when I'm roaming I don't care what network I pick up as long as the phone works.

You had Apple replace your handset because of this issue? That is amazing. Why? You know what network you're on and the lock screen is only there for an instant until Faceid unlocks it for you.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

View more options
Hm14

At the Genius Bar the guy spent like I had previously a long time deleting and restoring my phone and making it as they say brand new with no data. When he completed this and witnessed that the words were scrolling but then froze he like me was shocked. We both and all know what network we are on but the fact is it’s a bug and should not happen. We are paying a lot of money and it jusy should not happen! His earlier diagnostic even said the phone was free of any hardware issue however even the Genius Bar has never seen this before. Give them their due upon seeing the big freeze he immediately replaced the handset stating it should not happen. With it still happening it’s not a handset issue just need it fixed!

View more options
jeffkinn

Is there anything else wrong with the phone? Any other display problems or anything else freezing?

When you pull the control panel down from the right hand corner does it display the network name properly?

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

View more options
Hm14

Yes when u pull down control panel Vodafone is displayed clearly. There was  moments of freezing and the most odd was when going into the settings menu the phone would play the ringtone for a second or two as if you were in settings adjusting the ringtone volume???  I know there will be glitches but have to ensure it’s not a fault or hardware issue

View more options
Alex
Administrator

@Hm14 My 'Vodafone UK' scrolls quite happily on the lock screen - how strange that yours doesn't 🤔

View more options
BandOfBrothers

@Hm14

Just a side note. 

I notice you say Apple have replaced your iPhone x.

If the iPhone was originally supplied by Vodafone UK then if in the future you wish to unlock it to all Networks then youll need to update customer service with its new imei and serial number as it will be different to the original one supplied. 

Current Phone >

Samsung Z Fold³ 5G.

Previous Phone >

View more options
donnyguy
16: Advanced member

FullSizeRender-1.jpgMy phone does exactly the same thing. Scrolls then freezes. I just assumed it centered the network name and chopped an equal amount of each side.

It would look better if Vodafone shortened the network name.

In Greece, the network display name on iPhones has always been displayed as 'vf GR' rather than 'vodafone GR'.

If only Vodafone UK could find a way to display the network name as vf UK. It'd appear a lot better on the screen.

View more options
Hm14

Thanks for the reply Alex. As you can see some scroll and some do not! What do you think the issue is? 

As for the handset I will update voda with my new serial number and imei number. Do the ones comes locked to voda or open all networks? And will this apple replacement be identical or open?

View more options
jeffkinn

If Vodafone supplied the phone it will be locked to the network and the Apple replacement will be the same.

If you bought it sim free from Apple it'll be unlocked.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

View more options
Hm14

Thanks. Has anyone else got the scroll issue and if so have they made Vodafone aware? I’m tempted to inform voda however have not got the time and patience anymore with the call centres and having to explain something over and over again.......and having no logical reply

View more options
Alex
Administrator

@Hm14 @jeffkinn @donnyguy I wasn't on the latest version of iOS, so last night I updated to iOS 11.2 and now my 'Vodafone UK' doesn't scroll anymore and is static in the top left, slightly cut off on either side. 

I thought this may be helpful to see what has caused this change 🙂

Just to add - my iPhone X was purchased directly from Apple and I'm on a SIM only contract. 

View solution in original position

View more options
donnyguy
16: Advanced member

Thanks Alex, that explains it! 

View more options
Hm14

Brilliant! Looks like you have answered the question! Thanks. The thing now is let’s hope on the next update this is fixed!

View more options
KayZZ
4: Newbie

I can confirm this is a software issue on the latest version of IOS which is 11.2.

My colleage is still on IOS 11.1 and his voda logo scrolls as normal.

I even went into the Apple store in Central London and they too confirmed this is a software issue and NOT a hardware issue.

I did a full restore reset network settings at first but nothing worked lol 

It does drive me mad though.

Next update should sort it I hope

View more options
KayZZ

IOS 11.2.1 has just come out and I have updated my X and the problem is STILL not solved.  The vodafone sign is still stuck and does not move after you input your password to intially unlock your phone.

Tried a hard reset just to confirm and still the problem is there.

Can Vodafone please contact Apple regarding this bug?

It really is annoying the hell outta of me 😕

View more options
BandOfBrothers

For what it’s worth you guys can send feedback to Apple also via > apple.com/feedback/iphone.

Current Phone >

Samsung Z Fold³ 5G.

Previous Phone >

View more options
Hm14

Yep likewise just updated iOS software and it did not fix the scrolling issue. Dammmmmmm!

View more options
KayZZ

Yeh thanks for that. I did send APPLE a report of the issue.

View more options