Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

iPhone X - initial thoughts

jeffkinn
17: Community Champion

I ordered my 256GB iPhone X within about ten minutes of the start of pre-orders (or is that X minutes?). The phone arrived on Saturday afternoon. (It was meant to be Friday morning but that's another DPD related story).

I thought I'd give my initial thoughts having had the phone in my hand for a couple of days.

The set up process was excellent and, sitting next to my iPhone 7 Plus, the X automatically extracted all of the settings it needed. I'd already made sure I'd gone through an iCloud backup on the 7 Plus and that came straight down to the new phone. It was ready to use pretty quickly.

The screen is just excellent. The clarity of sharpness of the display is really good. I'm not entirely sure about the True Tone feature yet that is designed to give consistent colours despite the ambient lighting conditions but I'm going to stick with it for the time being. 

Although the phone is small than the 7 Plus, the extra screen real estate on the X is lovely, and more and more independent apps are already being updated to take advantage of it.

Not having a Home button is weird at first and I've found myself pressing the screen several times with no effect. The gestures needed to go Home or bring up the task switcher are easy to get used to and present no problems at all. They felt natural very quickly.

FaceID was equally easy to get used to and was a doddle to set up. The jury will be out for a while as to how secure this technology is, but I like it and have become used to it very quickly.

The Notch!! Another controversial feature but a lot of nonsense has also been spoken about this area of the phone. Frankly, I hardly notice it's there. It doesn't spoil the look of the phone for me or detract from its usability in day to day use.

So my general view after 2 days? I LOVE THIS PHONE!!

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

5 REPLIES 5

BandOfBrothers

Fantastic initial thoughts there @jeffkinn

I know we have our little discussions on Apple and iPhones but as you know I’ve been an avid user of iPhones until recently. 

Its great that you’ve embraced the Notch. 

Can i ask if Apps are remaining in an open state or are reloading when you switch from one to the other ? I ask because someone I follow is experiencing them re loading. 

I think most of the negativity against the iPhone 10 is because some find it hard to embrace and accept change. It makes me smile because for quite a while now people have been urging Apple for change - they do it - and some of those are the ones that are not happy. 

For me the software is more important as it is the heart of the device. The hardware is pretty similar across most of the manufacturers nowadays especially with flagship phones. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

jeffkinn

Task switching works exactly the same as all other phones - definitely not re-loading.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

Hi

When you said all the settings migrated over to the new phone, does this also include passwords, etc

I know every time i change phone, there are loads i've forgotten and i spend hours resetting them and re-registering everywhere.

Thanks

jeffkinn

Any passwords that are in the iCloud keychain move over. It automatically picked up my home Wi Fi network and password and my iCloud ID. I think I had to input my iCloud password but that's a security issue. 

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

Colleen
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@jeffkinn Thanks for sharing, I'm glad to hear you're loving your new phone! 😄