cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

iPhone XR *upgrade from Vodafone* will it be locked to the Network?

shamas
2: Seeker

Yesterday I went for an upgrade from Vodafone and got myself an iPhone XR. Now just waitting to receive my new handset. But in the mean time I was wipping out my old Galaxy S8 and realised that it's locked to Vodafone. Which seemed odd, cause few months back I had o2 SIM card in my galaxy and there was no issues whatsoever, but now it's showing locked :Horror_Face: anyway, I have requested NUC code for the Galaxy, and the got myself thinking, will my new iPhone be locked to Vodafone as well? If it is, will I get it unlocked with no issues? I'm concerned cause due to different allowance & requirements my partner is using my Vodafone SIM and I'm using his BT mobile SIM. Therefore, I have no intentions in using my Vodafone SIM in the new device. And it's not optional cause my partner has been using that number for over 3 years now and obviously has all his work contacts and friends calling him on that number.

Now I know that there is a '3 bills policy' with Vodafone, but it's not a new contract, I'm just upgrading my handset. So obviously I have paid way more than 3 bills and all of them were paid on time with not a single payment being missed or delayed. 'Live chat' advisor was very unhelpful and could answer to my question straight. And looking into his answers, if that'll be the case, I will be returning the device and terminating the contract on the spot.

8 REPLIES 8

shamas

Yesterday I went for an upgrade from Vodafone and got myself an iPhone XR. Now just waitting to receive my new handset. But in the mean time I was wipping out my old Galaxy S8 and realised that it's locked to Vodafone. Which seemed odd, cause few months back I had o2 SIM card in my galaxy and there was no issues whatsoever, but now it's showing locked  anyway, I have requested NUC code for the Galaxy, and the got myself thinking, will my new iPhone be locked to Vodafone as well? If it is, will I get it unlocked with no issues? I'm concerned cause due to different allowance & requirements my partner is using my Vodafone SIM and I'm using his BT mobile SIM. Therefore, I have no intentions in using my Vodafone SIM in the new device. And it's not optional cause my partner has been using that number for over 3 years now and obviously has all his work contacts and friends calling him on that number.

Now I know that there is a '3 bills policy' with Vodafone, but it's not a new contract, I'm just upgrading my handset. So obviously I have paid way more than 3 bills and all of them were paid on time with not a single payment being missed or delayed. 'Live chat' advisor was very unhelpful and could answer to my question straight. And looking into his answers, if that'll be the case, I will be returning the device and terminating the contract on the spot.

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

All handsets supplied by Vodafone Uk would be locked out.

The Samsung Galaxy shouldn't have accepted another networks sim card and could have been a glitch which has reset itself to locked. 

You could choose to use a Vodafone payg sim card in the iphobe making calls etc for 30 days and then request its unlock using the new Payg details.

You have a 30 day cooling off period to cancel and return the phone to any Vodafone Highstreet Store or ask customer service for a returns bag.

If you wish to keep your mobile number for another network then ask for a Pac.

Because your upgrading this is effectively an account reset to last another 2 years so the x3 Bill's and 30 days usage would apply in my understanding. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Well if that's the case then I'm not even going to unpack the device... Will just send it back to Vodafone and terminate the contract and move to someone more reasonable. Especially after reading all the horror stories of people being unable to unlock the devices even after fullfiling the requests. What's the point of having a new handset that you can't use :Hmm_Face:

Just to clarify - The phone is comming through a flex upgrade and I've paid a fee for it. Does it still mean new contract?

this is strange.

never faced such issue.

try complaining in the customer care service of Vodafone as well as apple.

Regards.

jeffkinn

Complain to Vodafone and Apple about what?

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

shamas

Update:

phone received locked as expected. Been advised in store that it’ll take a month before I’m aboe to unlock it so I’ve bit the lemon and purchased payg sim card to be used in the new phone.

Next day after collecting the phone I thought I’ll give it a go and request unlock code via NUC centre, received an email saying that they’ve requested a phone to be unlocked by Apple. Surprisingly, 2 days later my phone was fully unlocked and I was able to put new sim in :Hmm_Face:

Hi.

Im in s similar situation. Did u complete theNUC form using the vodafone website? If so it asks 'Have you been using the payg sim for 30 days or more'. Did u just press yes to skip through it and jump onto the form?