main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

iOS

iphone XR esim

2: Seeker

hello i have just trancerfured my sim to esim as vodafone sed yes it works with the iphone XR (NOT THE APPLE WATCH)  i wont it for the phone so i filled the furme out for the esim and i just rang up and there tolled me no it dosent wont work with just the XR its the apple watch s 4 and there toled me to just wate for vodafone to stert useing esim with XR/XS/XS MAX so i now have no sim to use and i still have to pay the bill not a happy person at the moment 

View more options
26 REPLIES 26
17: Community Champion

I appreciate your not happy with the situation but a Vodafone Highstreet Store can perform a sim swap back to a sim you can use. 

You should take some Photo ID. 

I hope this situation is resolved asap. 

Current Phone > Samsung Note 9 _512Gb > Model: SM-N960 Hybrid-Duos.

Samsung One Ui  / Pie.

Samsung Gear s3 Frontier Watch.

View more options

Vodafone don’t know what a QR code is as there are not up to date with the 21  sentry  And all the new technology there are still livening in  Stone Age  

View more options

I have an iPhone XS Max and have just called and been told that Vodafone ARE supporting eSim on iPhone. And I have been directed to go online and do a sim swap. Is this correct? Will it work?

View more options

After u do that u need a QR code. Good luck if u are doing it as I have been told there will be a £5 monthly fee and there only do it for Apple Watch s3/4 I have been trying to get QR code for the past 7days now and just give up trying 

View more options

Thank you. Sounds like I should wait a while and just keep using two phones until Vodafone know what they are doing...

View more options
11: Established

Vodafone have stated they will support eSIM on iPhone XS/XR as well as Apple Watch, just not yet.

To be fair Apple state that only EE are supporting XS/XR eSIM in the UK at this stage, so patience is probably what's required. 

View more options

Someone needs to tell their call centre then as the agent and manager (who the agent spoke to) confirmed I can use an eSim specifically in my iPhone. As I kept confirming I wasn't talking about an apple watch. 

View more options

Callsenter don’t understand the difference between iPhone and Apple Watch 

View more options

Thats what a esim and a SIM card work together hope Vodafone can read it and then understand what people are on about 

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT209044

View more options

Indeed, it is just embarassing. I chat online, called 191, both didn't understand at all what this means. Kept reaasuring me that it works in iphone and asked me to go into store to get it done. I went into two different stores and they had to call some tech team in the back to figure out 1) what it is; 2) that it is not possible and 3) it is not going to be supported until later next year, which is a deal breaker to me as I signed XS specifically for dual sim ability. Now I'm one month into my contract with vodafone I have to take the big hit and pay off my contract to go to EE, what a absolute joke this is...

View more options
4: Newbie

@huanjiayang wrote:

Indeed, it is just embarassing. I chat online, called 191, both didn't understand at all what this means. Kept reaasuring me that it works in iphone and asked me to go into store to get it done. I went into two different stores and they had to call some tech team in the back to figure out 1) what it is; 2) that it is not possible and 3) it is not going to be supported until later next year, which is a deal breaker to me as I signed XS specifically for dual sim ability. Now I'm one month into my contract with vodafone I have to take the big hit and pay off my contract to go to EE, what a absolute joke this is...

Ehy are you bothering to call and chase when it is clear the Vodafone do not support esim yet.  They aren’t a launch partner with a Apple for this and not listed on the website as yet. 

View more options

It wasn’t clear to me. When I signed XS at launch I was told EE and Vodafone support this eSim I was even shown an apple webpage that says so. I didn’t follow up after signing as was just waiting for apple to push out 12.1 update. Then when it updated I “was bothering” to ask Vodafone to put the eSim in my phone. Obviously now we know they don’t actually support this, and of course it was all my fault because I shouldn’t have bothered.

View more options

I am with you on this matter. Vodafone as a company is crap. no one in customer services or the stores know anything about E sim for iphone xs. Been on this matter and no body has up to date information. EE has started supporting E sim for the iphnon xs. Apple has worked with carriers to update their system to support E sim with the release of the 12.1 ios update. But vodafone will not allow apple to work with them to update their system. Vodafone is a fraud

View more options

Once again Vodafone UK was never a launch partner for esim on iPhone. 

On the keynote Vodafone UK was listed as a new partner for Apple Watch with Cellular.  The other reference on the keynote just said Vodafone. When you look at the website it shows Vodafone Germany is a launch partner and Vodafone Spain coming soon. No mention of UK. 

Customer services have said Voda UK are working with Apple to bring this to the UK and it also sounds like they are close than O2 and 3. But the main 3 networks that aren’t on esim have never given any confirmation  of when they will support it. Voda have implied by end of year, O2 have said 2019Q1 and 3 have said 2019H1. 

View more options

Of course, it's always all down to customers not reading the small writings or do their research carefully enough. I've said it's all my fault so you don't have to keep coming back to me LOL. I shouldn't have bothered with Vodafone that's it. But if you've been doing research into XS release you'll be reading everywhere that "Iphone XS uses Esim and there are only two carriers supporting ESim in UK, EE and Vodafone", which is actually not a wrong statement. But people could play all those word games all days long and you or Vodafone may win the debate of this, but this doesn't win any customer over or make them happy. When I went into stores asking for this now it was clear that I'm not the only customer in this exact same situation. At the end of the day Vodafone supports Esim in iwatch but cannot do so in iphone when Apple has done their part by releasing 12.1 and EE starting ESim conversion the following day, this is just far from good enough from Vodafone's point of view, and for ME this just makes my investment in XS pointless as I bought XS almost purely because of it's dual sim ability.

We are not even talking about all the clueless online chat agent, telephone customer service people who kept telling me that I should be "rest assured" that Vodafone does support this and urges me to go in store, which I did twice...

Anyway asked for PAC code today and will need to pay off my remaining 23 months of the contract and move back to EE next week.......only moved over from EE one month ago sigh... 

View more options

Thanks. That was exactly what happened to me and the clueless chat and customer services agents.

i will ask for a PAC number and move to EE tomorrow. 

Vodafone is a major let down

View more options

I have just signed up to 24 month contract with an iphone XR that is unlocked because I thought also that EE and Vodafone offered the esim function and was lead to believe it would be available with the ios update before buying the phone. I went for Vodafone because the monthly cost was cheaper than EE. I have got the latest ios version 12.1 and tried to do the sim swap this morning so that I can use the physical sim slot for another seperate sim card but once you enter he EID on the Vodafone sim swap page it comes up with a warning that this is for Apple Watch only so I have not gone ahead with it because one chat agent says it "should" be ok and another says it's not available to use on iphone and that they don't know when it will be. It is a little disappointing that the functionality from the Vodafone side is not available now that the iphones have got the ios update. Nobody seems to know when the esim will be able to be used. I could cancel and try for EE but have just ported my number in etc and it seems a lot of hassle. It would be good if there was in indication of when the function will be made available as one of the reasons for switching was that iphone is now in theory a dual sim phone.

View more options

If u go with EE esim there charge £22+ and it’s only a available on  contract not pay as you go and on vodafone it costs £5 pm but you get the 1st 3 months free 

View more options
11: Established

No, the pricing you have mentioned is for Apple Watch. depending on how you've bought it, but EE and Voda are almost identical.

EE are allowing contract customers to move to eSIM on iPhone XS/XR for free on their exisitng number. If you want an additional number then you need to take a new contract connection at whatever cost whether that be £15 or £90.

Obvisously can't comment on Vodafone until they launch eSIM support for iPhone, but given their Apple Watch pricing and compatibility is virtually the same as EE's, it's probably going to be a good indicator.

View more options