Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

visual voicemail on ios9

D0nnieDarko
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

seriously still no visual voicemail???

I had it on my first iphone (a 3GS) in 2009 when i was on O2 which was amazing.

some things are good about vodafone, notably the free choice of spotify/ netflix etc on certain tariffs, but why do i still have to phone up to hear my voicemails?

come on vodfone its embarrassing!!

14 REPLIES 14

jeffkinn
17: Community Champion

You don't - get Hullomail for Visual Voicemail. I have different greetings for specific contacts as well as the generic greeting. Voicemails are emailed to me as well as available in the Hullomail app. It also tells me about missed calls.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

i did used to use hullomail- and can't for the life of me remember why i stopped and deleted it- the separate app is a bit of an annoyance, instead of it being inside 'phone'.

as vodafone seem to have no interest in providing this service i guess i'll have to try it again i guess.

thanks jeff - but i'd still prefer the real thing!

jeffkinn

O2 implemented VV as part of their exclusivity with Apple when the original iPhone was launched. I believe EE added it a year or so ago but Three and Vodafone never have and are unlikely to ever do so.

I suspect that even if the network did implement it, the functionality of Hullomail would be better than the network version.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

jelockwood
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Vodafone are living in the last century (literally) if not cloud cuckoo land.

Not only do O2 and EE (and Orange) have Visual Voicemail but Vodafone themselves has Visual Voicemail in Portugal, Hungary, and Germany in Europe and in various other non EU countries as well.

If they can do it in Hungary a much smaller market than the UK, and can do it in Germany arguably a bigger market than the UK then what possible excuse do they have for not doing it in the UK their home market after all.

I can categorically say that Vodafone have lost a lot of business over the years due to this single issue as anyone who has used Visual Voicemail before is loathe to return to ancient non-visual voicemail.

I will never switch to Vodafone as long as they maintain this stupidity.

By the way I am aware of HulloMail which Vodafone stupidly keep pushing as a 'fix'. If an Apple customer wanted a bodge job they would use an Android handset. Equally I would not use O2's TuGo bodge over 'real' WiFi Calls.

jeffkinn

Thinking that Android is a bodge compared to iOS is very retro thinking and wholly incorrect - and I write this as an iPhone user.

Also VV might be mission critical to you from the network but it certainly isn't to nearly everyone else, Vodafone has 20 million customers and there must be millions of iPhone customers who, like me, are not that bothered by Vodafone supplying VV. I have used Hullomail for years on both iOS and Android platforms and it works exceptionally well.

I would far rather Vodafone invested in more important areas of their business than something as unimportant and trivial as VV. Why other countries have invested in VV is not known to us as customers of course but each country operates independently of each other. What we do know is that margins in the UK are much less than in other countries and clearly the economic case for investing in VV as opposed to something else has not been made. 

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

As I mentioned Vodafone have and are losing business over this.

See these few of many, many more articles over the years that Vodafone has been shooting themselves in the foot over lack of VV.

http://www.mobileindustryreview.com/2011/01/visual-voicemail-a-super-example-of-britains-lazy-inept-...

http://lastplaceonthe.net/visual-voicemail-open-letter-vodafone-uk/

http://tech.jamesclay.net/?p=2527

http://www.jasonnoble.co.uk/wheres-visual-voicemail-come-on-its-old-technology/

Not to mention all the other threads in these Vodafone forums over the years.

It should be noted that VV is not limited to iPhones it works on some Blackberries, it works on Windows Mobile, and even Google are in the process of implementing it for Android.

See http://www.engadget.com/2015/07/16/android-m-visual-voicemail/

jeffkinn

Of course there will be the odd person who feels like you I'm sure but I know plenty of people with iPhones and not one of them has ever mentioned VV to me.

So your concept of losing business isn't the same as Vodafone's when they are making an investment decision on a significant software project. The extra revenue derived from such a decision would probably never come close to covering the expense of the operation.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

If that was so then why has Vodafone implemented VV in numerous other countries both bigger and smaller than the UK, and similarly why have other networks implemented it?

jeffkinn

O2 implemented it because it was part of the conditionality that Apple imposed on them to get exclusive access to the iPhone when it was first launched.

No idea about EE.

No idea about other countries but as I've already said, Vodafone say publicly that the UK makes far less money than other European countries where they have a presence and thus I'm sure that my reasoning, based on 30 years as a corporate finance director, is right.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png