Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

HTC Desire - How to stop receiving texts from "50" with area phone code

bugs31
4: Newbie
I'm hoping someone can help me please as I can't find an answer on google.

I have had my HTC Desire for a couple of weeks but yesterday started to get text messages from the number 50 telling me the area phone code eg. "0118" if I'm in Reading. I normally get 7 of these texts in a row. I can't see any option to stop them and as I travel around areas quite a bit it's getting very annoying.

Any ideas would be great

Thanks
31 REPLIES 31

samliles
2: Seeker

Hi there i have a HTC Sensation and ever since it as recently updated itself.. i keep getting texts with area codes and also my ringtone keeps changing itself back to a basic beep noise, i hate it.. Any suggestions you find please let me no and vice versa.

Hi samliles and welcome to the eForum

Thanks for your post here.

To disable cell broadcast messages go to;

Menu

Settings

CB activation (OFF)

With regards to your ringtone, this will happen when you turn the device off. When the handset starts up, the operating system searches for the ringtone location before the memory card is ready. It subsequently cannot find the ringtone, so it defaults to a basic one on the phone.

Is there anyway you can move the ringtone file that you wish to use over to the phone memory? This would potentially stop the problem.

Please let me know how you get on and if you have any more questions, we’ll be happy to help you further.

Thanks

Wayne

If you have a spare minute could you please take the time to fill out a short feedback form about me?

You can do so here

Hey Guys the exact same thing happened to me when i updated my HTC Sensation XE to ICS and its been driving me up the wall but thanks to metals advice it seems to have stopped sooo thank you metal you ###### Legend

This is still happening after nearly 2 years since the first report. I've had my Desire S one week but last night I started to get multiple messages reporting the area code from 50, exactly as was reported back in 2010. The method of removal through the call menu does work, but is anyone addressing why it happens in the first place? If the area code is going to be displayed anywhere it should be on the location  information on the home page as used to happen on one of my first Nokias about 10 years ago!!

Retired-Lee
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Good morning folks,

Could everyone let me know the following information please?

• Handset
  • Software version

Thanks,

Lee

dave44
1: Seeker

I have HTC sensation XL with beats audio x315e.

Updated to latest version. Have no idea which.

I have read the posts here and have to say that in my telephone the function of disabling CB messages is not accessible.

I got so many messages as described before, that is really annoying. It is triggered by travelling and sends sms lookalike, but since you can cancel or save, I’d say these are system notifications. The senders are: 50, 4096 and 4098. The 50m sends area codes or local cities names and the other two send commercial in local language, mostly dirty…

I have tried uninstalling all my apps… nothing helped.

The uncheck option suggested below, is not possible with my phone, but I educate guessing that even if it was possible, we would solve the symptoms, not the problem itself. 

Retired-Dave
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi Dave44,

Cell Broadcast is not an issue. The feature is built into the phone to be available if requested, and designed to be switched off if you have no need.

Did you try following Metal's instructions some way up this thread? I've done some digging omn the Sensation XL and these fit what I've found:

Menu > Settings > Call > Uncheck Cell Broadcast.

Dave

Also bear in mind that on older software versions it is NOT called CB but Location/Locations.  So for people that may have thought they don't have the options you actually might do! :Smiling:

On the sensation I was pretty sure it came under sms settings and allow location?  Could be wrong however as it's been a while!

The newer software versions of the Desire handsets all have the facility to turn off CB broadcasts so it shouldn't be an issue.

To all the "older" posts that I see here without knowing the exact handsets it would be hard to comment but as I said above, look at turning off "Location" services.

Mike

Works for Vodafone Uk.

Amman

i have HTC Desire 500 and i m facing same problem. i keep receiving pop msgs evry time i enter or leave any area/street like 7 to 10 messages in a row. this is so annoying. how do i stop it. i tried goin into settings-call option but there is no call/cell broadcast option to uncheck.. please help me out.

Jenny
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi Amman,

Apologies, we seem to have missed your post.

Did you get this sorted? Let us know if you need any further help.

Thanks,

Jenny