Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

No 3G signal

westo123
4: Newbie

So for the last 6 months I have not been able to get 3G, despite many hours on 'live chat' and going into a local shop. I have been told to reset reboot and that my phone is faulty. I have been sent a new sim and bought a new phone. I live in an area that is unable to get anything other than 2G/E, Cornwall but even when I go to somewhere that should get 4G and my wife who has the same phone and package gets 4G, I still get 2G/E. It happens on both phones, both sims. I have just got a free O2 sim and this gets 4G out and about on both phones, which proves it is the fault with Vodafone. The latest debacle with live chat resulting in a soft reset and now I get no texts from Vodafone so I can't even log in as I can't get a security code. Is there anyone with Vodafone top level tech knowledge that can work this out because no-one else seems to be able to. I have been promised on live chat twice that the matter will be escalated and they would be in touch but of course that hasn't happened. No surprise there really!

6 REPLIES 6

Blair
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hey @westo123, sorry you're finding it difficult to get a resolution for this.

With 4G, there’s a few things that need to be in place for it to work. You need a SIM card that’s 4G enabled – all new SIM cards are. You then need to have the correct APN settings on your phone, and finally you need to have the service provisioned at our end.

3G's slightly different, however the settings on your phone need to be correct for it to work.

So as you’ve already got a new SIM card, then we’ll need to look at your phone. What make and model of phone do you have?

Blair

They are both HTC One M9. You will note that with a O2 sim they both pick up 4G when out and about but the Vodafone sim does not. 

TJ
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Thanks for getting back in touch with that information @westo123. Were the phones bought directly from us, O2 or from a third party? 

3rd party

hrym
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

Hi.   I also have a SIM free M9 and I can confirm that it has no trouble receiving 3 & 4G, so that's one possibility out of the way.

Two things:
1.  Are both your SIMs on the same account? (if so, I suspect this may be an issue with 4G not being provisioned on the account as a whole)

2. Have you tried either of the SIMs in another device?   If you have/can and it doesn't work then, it rather confirms the above.

If you can drop into a Vodafone shop, they may be able to do the swap test for you.  If not, it should be easy enough for the forum team to take your details and have a look.

Loz
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@westo123 Thanks for confirming that back to us. As you've tried an alternative SIM and a different phone, I'd like to take a closer look into your account settings. So I'm able to do this, I've sent you a private message with details on how to get in touch.