Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Vodafone wont allow use of personal routers on their Broadband

mphasey
2: Seeker
2: Seeker
Had to cancel my Vodafone Broadband today, after calling customer service to request the PPPoe access details to the broadband network so I could configure and use my own Draytek router (that has a large number of features, not available on the "Vodafone Connect" Router) like VOIP and extended AP connectivity. I was told that the PPPoe details are a secret and a security risk if divulged to the public, (what utter rot). Every ISP I have used over the years BT, Talk Talk etc have had no problems letting their users have this information so they have control over what equipment they use to access the service. I have invested a considerable amount of money in a high spec router that meets all my requirements, that the "Vodafone Connect" router cannot. This was not an unusual request, I'm sure there are many in my position.
28 REPLIES 28

jimborae
4: Newbie

I'm in the same boat as you, except when i signed up I specifically asked if you could use your own router and was told that you could! Now I find that you can't and the router is so locked down you can't even reserve IP addresses for devices on your home network that have to have a static IP address. You can't control the IP address range either. This router is only suitable for the most basic of home networks. It's going to cost me a fortune to switch back to BT and the wife is not a happy bunny with me either! 

Jenny
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@mphasey and @jimborae - You can call 08080 034 515 for help with this.

Take a look at our broadband support pages for further info.

Thanks Jenny but have you actually read the first post? We already have called tech support on the number you have given. It was them who refused to give us the PPPoE settings and said we cant use our own equipment! 

I was told via the sales team you could use your own router.  but i was doubting the traffic management of the network so did not carry on with the order at the time.  glad i did not carry on now reading your posts i will not be going to vodafone then 

grolschuk
Community Champion (Retired)

What settings are you needing for the Draytek?

Try putting a vlan tag of 101 on the vdsl to see if it helps.

Other than that, it should just be username and password?

It's the username and password that  Vodafone wont let me have. I have no issues with choosing the the right settings on the router and don't require any support from Vodafone in that regard.

It's rather a ridiculous situation, imagine if google or microsoft didn't allow you to know your username or password for their email or other services and you had to have a special box to log you in!

grolschuk

That is all a bit silly if they are not giving usernames and passwords.

Actually that is very silly!

Have you tried CS again, in case the person you got through to was just having a bad day?

The Customer Service people were very good, and understood exactly what I wanted, I spoke to the Manager there and he understood my frustration, unfortunately it's company policy (it may change at some point, but not in the near future, so I had to cancel).

I'm facing the same issue.   I was with Sky for a couple of years and was frustrated with the all in one router they provided and their refusal to allow any other 3rd party router.

Vodafone kept insisting to me that not only was their's the best router for an Fibre ISP provider but that we could use a 3rd party router if all failed.   I did try looking for any documentation that might have prevented me from using a 3rd party product but at the time (Dec2015) I could not find anything of note.

Now I'm stuck with a router in which the wireless performance is frankly shocking despite adjusting the wireless ranges etc.   Had the Vodafone sales staff been upfront over any restrictions (or been given the information to pass to new customers) I would never have joinned.  Now I cant wait for the 18months to finish so that I can dump both broadband and personal phones...

Many of us understand the implications of going over to our prefered 3rd party router, therefore allowing the connect router to either operate in "modem only" or giving us the PPPoe details would be a massive win for the broadband team....