Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Connecting Netgear Nighthawk RAX40 to FTTP query

tomsever
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hello all,

I would like to use the above Router instead of the Vodafone THG3000. I have a FTTP connection (Full Fibre 910+). Can you please advise what details I would need to know and what I would need to setup to make this Netgear Router as my main router? As far as I understand I need my own ISP login details or PPPoE login details? As well as setting up the Netgear Router in Bridged mode?

Thanks in advance for your advice,

Tom

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

CrimsonLiar
16: Advanced member

You'll need to contact Vodafone, preferably by text chat - so you can easily copy your PPPoE username (format:  dslXXXXXXXX@broadband.vodafone.co.uk) and password.  If your connection is via CityFibre you'll also need to set VLAN:911 on the WAN connection, if it's via OpenReach this is unnecessary.

You can then connect your router directly to the ONT/PON that'll have been mounted on the wall (you'll lose digital voice if you do this). That should be it, unless you are doing something more complex there should be no reason to do anything more!

View solution in original position

21 REPLIES 21

CrimsonLiar

You'll need to contact Vodafone, preferably by text chat - so you can easily copy your PPPoE username (format:  dslXXXXXXXX@broadband.vodafone.co.uk) and password.  If your connection is via CityFibre you'll also need to set VLAN:911 on the WAN connection, if it's via OpenReach this is unnecessary.

You can then connect your router directly to the ONT/PON that'll have been mounted on the wall (you'll lose digital voice if you do this). That should be it, unless you are doing something more complex there should be no reason to do anything more!

Thank you Sir! I have contacted Vodafone and got the deets for PPPoE + some settings they sent through for VLAN and other stuff etc. Indeed I am with CityFibre so will see how I get on with the config.
Thanks a lot for your support CrimsonLiar.
Regards,
Tom

I'd just like to thank you for the one comment ("if it's via OpenReach this is unnecessary"that fixed my issue! VF told me to use VLAN 101 when connecting my FTTP to my UDM SE and it wouldn't connect. Disabling VLAN has now connected, so thanks for that comment. I'd tried 101 and 911 (even though it was Openreach) but hadn't (and I don't know why!) tried it disabled. 

Hello there CrimsonLiar
Unfortunately I am not having much luck.... I used the PPPoE sign in details on my Netgear router, that seemed to have saved/worked. But Vodafone have given me other bunch of setting, but I was not able to find them anywhere on my Router, please see below if possible:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
VLAN = 911
VPI input = 0
VCI input = 38
Set Encapsulation/protocol = PPPoA or PPP over ATM
Set Framing/multiplexing = Type in: VC-based or VC-MUX (may have a name of PPPoa VC-MUX in some routers)
Set Modulation = Choose Multimode or Auto Specific modes will be either G.dmt/ITU G992.1 (ADSL1) or ITU G992.5 (ADSL2+)
Set Security/Authentication type = Choose CHAP
Set idle timeout = Set as No or 0
Set MTU size = Type in 1492 
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just to let you know I have attempted to set the VLAN 911 just creating/naming and adding it, but I have a feeling this didn't work as my router is not connecting to the Internet still...

Would appreciate if you could provide some more guidance if possible.

Thanks in advance,

Tom

Gemma
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for updating the thread with what's helped @Grimmi 

Ripshod

As you're connected I wouldn't worry about those other settings.

To be honest, I don't understand why you've been given those details at all. They are totally irrelevant. 

Hi Ripshod,

OK, thank you, that is good to know at least we have got the other irrelevant settings out of the way :)!

Below are my VLAN:911 settings which I think is the issue:

1000005397.png

 Please let me know if you can see if there is anything wrong here?

Thanks in advance,

Tom

Delete the vlan you have created then edit the internet one change vlan id from 10 to 911 then tick all ports on ethernet and tick 2.5 and 5Ghz Screenshot_20230922_182754_Chrome.jpg

Thank you Sir  JJG92 !
I figured out later on, the part where I had to leave just 1 VLAN and change it to 911! But the only thing I had not done was to check all of the Ethernet ports and the 2.5, 5Ghz ports.... So thank you for pointing that out!
Much obliged,
Tom