cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Issues with connectivity, packet loss and jitter.

jack007
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I’m having issues with my wifi connection, i’ve been with vodafone for over a year now and in the last 6 months my wifi connection has gotten brutal. When i’m playing games i’m getting constant packet loss and jitter errors and lag spikes even though my ping is low (9ms). I’ve been using a wifi extender which is a bit better but I still get the odd lag spike and my speed is around 28mbps compared to 250mbps when connected to my router via wifi. Around midnight i start having issues with connectivity aswell where my devices will lose the internet connection but are still connected to the router. Could this be a problem that i’ll just have to deal with or could it be an issue with the outdoor cabling?

4 REPLIES 4

Ripshod
16: Advanced member

You mention wifi, so what speeds do you get over a wired connection?

WiFi speed depends on distance and the environment. If wifi is crowded in your area you will have problems. Microwaves interfere, as does Bluetooth, and more recently a connection has been made to smart meter interference. 

My wired speed is around 500mbps, my wireless is around 250mbps. it’s not the speed i’m having issues with it’s just the latency issues. I can do with using the wifi extender i have but it’s just annoying that i only get 30mbps with it. My router is in the hallway which has nothing it could interfere with.

Jayach

@jack007 wrote:
I’ve been using a wifi extender which is a bit better but I still get the odd lag spike and my speed is around 28mbps compared to 250mbps when connected to my router via wifi. 

Wi-Fi extenders are often pretty rubbish. 

You need to first make sure the game play is O.K., preferably wired or when playing close to the router,

If it is it rules out line/service problems, so you need to improve the Wi-Fi where you usually play your games.

I would suggest possibly powerline adapters with a Wi-Fi access point where you require the stronger signal.

Either that, or get a mesh.

the extender eliminates the lag issues though, i still get a 84% connection signal when i use my wifi. I’ll look more into it. just thought i’d ask about here first