Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

THG3000 Router VDSL Username and Password Configuration

Delta10
4: Newbie

I have just signed up for Vodafone Superfast 1 broadband  ( pointless paying for Superfast 2 as the local network can not support the full 35 Mbps speed of Superfast 1 ). The connection date is nearly 4 weeks ahead.

Before signing up I discussed on the phone including the router delivery. I was told this will be using DPD.

The bottom line is nobody will be able to receive it so I will have to divert to local drop-off and collect.

Given the router is only sent out just before the changeover date I may not get to collect it for several days.

I also disccussed and was confirmed that Vodafone will supply the username and password for another router. Hence I purchased and have just received a THG3000 to use initially and as a spare. However even in Expert Mode I can not see where to change the username and password. Am I just missing this or have I made a mistake buying a THG3000 ? In hindsight is it why they sell so cheap ?

My current router is Plusnet which I understand can not be configured for Vodafone - correct ?

The same applies to Talktalk routers ?

I think I also have a Sky Hub 1 but can not recall if ADSL or VDSL. Can that be configured for Vodafone ?

I would appreciate suggestions for cheap router, an ISP one is fine, from eBay that will work with Vodafone Superfast 1.

Thanks in advance.

27 REPLIES 27

Jayach
16: Advanced member

You raise a good point, and one I've been wondering about. Will any Vodafone router run on any Vodafone line without configuring at Vodafone's end?

Some say no, but I have 2 routers, and both work, but only one gets the configuration update sent to it, so I assume that is my "official" router.

You can certainly not change the username and password in the THG3000, but Vodafone could register another router on your account. (they call it "provision")

If you have not got your official router when the line goes live, just give the other one a try, and let us know if it works.

I'm bidding on another one on eBay, just so I could test and see for myself, but obviously I won't buy it unless it goes for a very low price.

@Jayach 

Thanks for your reply that for the THG3000 the username and password can not be set.

A few days in advance I will ask Vodafone about 'Provision' of another router.

I've time to get a HHG2500 but presume no benefit.

Interesting that both of the routers you have work.  I am unsure what you mean by but only one gets the configuration update sent to it and how you know.

Based on my experience for a THG3000 postage will be more than the item cost. I was watching several but got the first at the starting price. By putting in a bid just above you ought to soon get one. If you do I will be interested to know if it too connects for you.

I chose a Tuesday for the changeover so if any issue a couple of days to resolve before the weekend. It could be the Saturday when I get the opportunity to collect my official router.  I really don't want to wait until then so no internet for 4 days and even worse find a problem.

I can borrow a Talktalk HG633 and DSL3782 but again presume they can not be configured for Vodafone. Anything else is ADSL not VDSL, unfortunate as a Netgear DGN1000 collecting dust too.

CrimsonLiar

The HHG2500 aslo has no provision for a username and password to be entered!  Some Talktalk modem routers have had the provision for a un/pass, but it may have been removed with subsequent firmware updates!

@CrimsonLiar   @Jayach 

Thanks for advising the HHG2500 also does not have provision for setting username and password.

Older TT routers were indeed relatively configurable hence why at work used as cheap access points!

For the HG633 I recall now having to do things in a certain way. It is still set as a backup access point so would prefer to leave but can reset and try if stuck.

Jayach

I don't think it worth getting a HHG2500, it's going to be just as locked down as the THG3000.

@Delta10 wrote:

Interesting that both of the routers you have work.  I am unsure what you mean by but only one gets the configuration update sent to it and how you know.

Vodafone has removed some features of the routers firmware, most notably the ability to change the Wi-Fi channels. If you factory reset the options are still in the firmware, but as soon as you connect to Vodafone a configuration file is downloaded to the router which changes various settings.

This only happens one one of my routers, which is why I say that is my "official" router. It does not happen with the other one. 

@Delta10 wrote:

Based on my experience for a THG3000 postage will be more than the item cost. I was watching several but got the first at the starting price. By putting in a bid just above you ought to soon get one. If you do I will be interested to know if it too connects for you.

I'll know if I'm going to get it about 11 O'clock tomorrow when the auction ends, I'm the only bidder at the moment, but it always gets interesting at the end.

@Delta10 wrote:

I can borrow a Talktalk HG633 and DSL3782 but again presume they can not be configured for Vodafone. Anything else is ADSL not VDSL, unfortunate as a Netgear DGN1000 collecting dust too.

I've managed to get a TakTalk FAST5634 and an EE Smart Hub to work on my Vodafone connection using my username and password, but it was a bit fiddly.

I've also use Ex-ISP Technicolor routers DWA0120 and a  DGA4231 (exactly the same hardware board as the THG3000) and they were easier as there is a not very well documented "Engineer" log in that opens the firmware up completely. The only problem is they will get no updates if not on the original ISP. (and Technicolor won't supply it)

What PlusNet router have you got as one of the earlier ones was able to be used on other ISP's. (I believe it was also made by Technicolor)

I will definitely update this thread if I do get another THG3000.

Jayach

@Delta10

I've found this on another forum about the HG633.

"If you set the connection mode to ADSL rather than auto in the router config then this should allow you to change the username / password.  You can then change the connection mode back to auto."

No idea if it is true as I don't have one to test. What options do you have under connection mode?

@Jayach 

Thanks for your response.

Once I am up and running if both my official router and the bought one connect I can investigate if firmware options get locked so configuration changes get reset and on which router.  For wi-fi channels here only next door a strong signal so really want to use a different channel to them.

I have just looked but only one Technicolor DGA4231 listed and £40 so will give that a miss.

My Plusnet router is a Hub One which I believe is essentially a BT Home Hub 5. At work is a Plusnet Technicolor 582. However that was supplied as a router only to an Openreach modem. If changeable to be standalone presumably only ADSL not VDSL.

I recall now when I joined Sky for the first contract period it was basic broadband i.e. ADSL so theoretically 8 Mbps but then renewed to VDSL / FTTC so theoretically 35 Mbps but in reality significantly less.  I had to do nothing for the change i.e. still the same router and settings.

When I joined Plusnet and finally connected, a long saga and no compensation as they are not part of the scheme hence suspect why pushed to bottom of the pile, I was getting close to 25Mbps but now down to 16 Mbps. I had not realised the drop until I checked recently. Time will tell if Vodafone is better. If not maybe need to get then to open a case with Openreach.

Jayach

Well I lost the THG3000 I was bidding on as I set myself a max of £5.00 (including postage) and lost to someone who got it for £5.20. But there was another the same day so I upped my max to £6.00 and got it for £5.64, so it should arrive before you come over to Vodafone and I can say if another random THG3000 will work on my line.

I've just realised I also bid on one ending on Sunday, but I'd set a max of £5.00 on that so hopefully someone else will nab it. 🙄

@Delta10 wrote:

When I joined Plusnet and finally connected, a long saga and no compensation as they are not part of the scheme hence suspect why pushed to bottom of the pile, I was getting close to 25Mbps but now down to 16 Mbps. .

You must be a long way from the cabinet. You can find out what Openreach consider your line capable of here: BT Broadband (btwholesale.com)

@Jayach 

According to the BTwholesale site you linked the line is worst case capable of over 50 Mbps. Once eventually connected with Plusnet 3 years ago the tests came back with 22-24 Mbps. I recall at the end of the contract Sky was similar. I loose a little in the house as because of both location of the incoming socket and no power the router can not be directly connected so is on extension wiring. I will run a mains extension so I can again test with the router direct to the incoming socket. When I did this before the gain was less than 1 Mbps.

Last year for a while I did get daily dropouts and sometimes several in one day. Given Covid ongoing plus working from home plus Plusnet are not part of compensation scheme I left as dropouts far better than no service. The dropouts did cease and maybe this is when the speed went down to 16 Mbps ?

I am uncertain where the nearest BT cabinet is. The nearest one to me is cable. The next two together are perhaps 300m away and both have covers marked CATV in front. I can not recall if one was there before cable installed so could be BT/Openreach. I looked yesterday and neither have any identification on. I am not even sure where the BT wiring runs and access to it from manhole covers.

The bottom line is reliability is more important than speed but I will monitor once connected. If after a month not back to 22-24 Mbps I will tell Vodafone I used to get this speed.

Once you receive your third THG3000 and have tried to connect I will be interested to know either way.

The spare one I have was listed as new. I do not know if the seller did test it or not.