Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Xbox Can't Get Toredo IP / NAT Type Unavailable / Can't connect to Party Chat

Chris4
2: Seeker

I'm unable to connect to voice (party) chat on my Xbox Series S. On my Xbox, when I select to check the connection it says "NAT Type: Unavailable". It then says, "Can't get a Toredo IP address". The console is fairly new, before that I had an Xbox One without issue.

It suggests resetting the router, which I've done multiple times, and ensuring UDP port 3544 isn't blocked. I've checked the router settings and uPnp is enabled, and I've also tried opening the port within IPv4 Port Mapping. 

Yesterday I spoke with first line support. They changed some settings without success. I then hard reset the router, no success.

• Today I read through this support page and I've followed instructions to open up 7 different ports.
  • I've also tried various other router settings, like Static NAT/DMZ/Exposed Host, exposing my Xbox's IP address.
  • Tried disabling the router firewall.
  • Tried IPv6 Settings > IPv6 Pinholes > Opening UDP 3544.
  • Tried various DNS settings on the console (8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4 ... 1.1.1.1, 1.0.0.1, etc.) without success.

Second line support are due to get in touch with me... But in the meantime, any suggestions please?

9 REPLIES 9

Ripshod
16: Advanced member

"Can't get a Toredo IP address"

Teredo is a method of delivering IPv6 over an IPv4 connection. As IPv4 is enough for Xbox and IPv6 is not actually necessary, it's a non-error.

"NAT Type: Unavailable" means just that. The router won't expose NAT type to any LAN devices. 

Ripshod

Too late to edit but:

If you're a serious gamer why don't you use a serious router? There's a reason the vodafone router is free. 

Okay, thanks for your replies, but you're not being helpful here.

"The router won't expose NAT type to any LAN devices" – Why? How do I fix this?

And to your second comment: I'm not sure why you're getting personal about a broadband issue post, I'm not a "serious gamer", but I am paying for a service that has an issue. The router is not "free", it's inclusively part of the 24-month, £600 contract I'm paying for and I have no interest in paying for another router.

Ripshod

You're opening ports that would be opened anyway by upnp. You also seem to want to get Teredo working when vodafone don't use it. Have you checked the router's status page to see if you even have IPv6?

Many many people are using chat within games without any IPv6. So, have you even considered there could be problems on the xbox?

If vodafone didn't provide a cheap router you'd still be paying £600 pounds for your broadband.

You've been going around changing settings on a router trying to get a service (that's not even available) working, so you can chat over IPv6 when it works fine over IPv4. So your network is in an unknown state.

My advice? Reset the vodafone router then only change the admin password, and the WiFi ssid and password. Then reset the network settings on your Xbox. At least we'll then understand where you are now and suggest a fix. 

Ripshod

One bit of diagnostics you can do to help everyone would be to run a traceroute to bbc.com and paste the results here. I believe your problem is CG-NAT, and no amount of fiddling with the router's settings will fix that.

Cynric

I did yes, and as you'll see there appears to be no answer, only people giving up and leaving.

Cynric

@Chris4 I think that tells you all you need to know about the current router and infrastructure available at present.

Most ISP provided routers are dumbed down to the level of 95% of the customer's needs.

Chris4

I've reset my Xbox and the NAT is now showing as Open. Will report back if voice chat works when I try it next. Thanks