Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Slow FTTC speeds outside of the Vodafone network

AndrewB95
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I've noticed for the past few months that my connection speed to servers outside of the Vodafone network seems to have dropped from the 70Mbps+ that I used to experience.

I've been having buffering issues with a couple of video streaming sites and slow downloads from Audible and Kindle. 

I ran a few tests to servers I have in the UK along to a friend's gigabit Idnet Cityfibre connection with iperf3 and it's reporting download speeds of roughly 18Mbps while Ookla Speedtest reports 75Mbps on the suggested servers. The outside servers were going from Vodafone to Level3 and Vodafone to Linx. 

My connection has a static ip but I don't believe that should make a difference. 

2 REPLIES 2

Ripshod
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

I wouldn't be surprised if it does. Although I was on Full Fibre 100 I was suffering appalling and erratic speeds everywhere other than on Vodafone's Ookla speedtests. I went back to a dynamic IP and it sorted itself right out.

Now, I admit I upgraded to Full Fibre 200 at the same time, but my graph showed a steady 108 Mbits for the 3 hours between the switch back to dynamic IP and the speed upgrade.

The other effect was switching back to a local gateway when previously I'd been routed through Edinburgh (I'm in West Yorkshire). 

I've done some more tests today and I'm now getting 30 to 40Mbps when connecting to the 2 servers (hosted by DO and Linode). I'm suspecting that there might be a congestion issue somewhere between Vodafone and Level3/Linx as I'm still getting the slower speed on an A&A connection for the Linode and full speed for the DO (which is routed differently on this connection).