Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Oxford Telecom Mast at OX2 0DP - Mast 522120 - Very Few Data 0s and 1s

colinstone
4: Newbie

Here in Oxford it is a connection shambles.  Mast 522120 is a couple of hundred metres from me and is the one my phone connects to.  Since Aug 2023 it has been enjoying an upgrade, due to complete end Jan 2024.  Nokia are removing the 3G and installing 5G.  The data flow has been really random, although the signal is showing 5 bars.  One moment i get 152Mb/s and for the next few hours/day nada. I've been doing countless network speed checks with the Vf app and it is a shame the app doesn't record the "Try again" failures along with the successes.  Sometimes it is almost as if the engineer turns on a switch at 0900 and off again at 1700.  I've logged numerous calls about it.  Vodafone can't/won't explain other than their bleat "a major upgrade".  They can't tell me if it is an equipment supply issue - the old chestnut "waiting for the parts" or indeed anything else.  It is hardly fit for a 1st World country.  4G coverage in the Nile Valley is better.

Three days ago I wandered along to the mast, actually mobile aerials on a 400kv sub station pylon, and the data cabinet - 5352.  The access door was open but no one around!!   I returned yesterday and the door still open.  There was a small white van parked near by on both days which looked inside like a telecoms engineer van - bits of electrical stuff and a couple of sealed batteries.  Today the door is still open but no van parked. So some work or monitoring could be taking place, but meanwhile the internal electrics are open to the elements.

I also have a Asda mobile SIM in my phone.  Asda is a Vf virtual network operator.  Surprisingly the Asda signal by the mast is much stronger than the Vodafone at - 57 dBm on Band 1 to -84dBm on Band 20 or 7.  At home now it is -77 B1 vs -98 B20.  I'm amazed that the Asda signal is so much stronger.  I'm trying to get my phone, Xiaomi Note 10 Pro, to use Band 1 and see if that makes a difference.

I don't have home BB, so my Vf SIM mobile is my internet connection.  Asda is just for second level authentication.

Perhaps someone here can explain why the delay and what is happening??

3 REPLIES 3

CallumR

Hey @colinstone Thanks for reaching out to us. We'd like to take a closer look at the delays you're having with the upgrades on the mast. Please could you contact our Social Media team on either Facebook or X

colinstone
4: Newbie

Merry Christmas Vodafone. Just to let you know, the Cabinet 5352 at OX2 0DP, Oxford was still open to the elements yesterday, Christmas Eve, afternoon.

I also wonder if having the main door open reduces the transmitter power for safety reasons for people working in the cabinet??  Anyway, the signal remains rubbish!!

And absolutely no reply to a post to the social media team on Facebook.

Thank you for getting back to us @colinstone to let us know, we appreciate you raising this to us. We'd need to get this looked into. Our Social Media Team can help. Can you please privately message our Social Media Team here. Our team will get back to your private message.