Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Is it time to stop bundling chargers?

hrym
17: Community Champion

I’ve got a drawer full of them, and so have you.   Chargers: they proliferate and either go to landfill (though they needn’t) or you hang onto them in case you need a spare.   But ten, a dozen, spares?   I think not.

Every phone I’ve had has had a charger in the box.   Occasionally, that’s necessary – the plug changes (charge jack, micro USB, USB C) or the brick itself gets more powerful.   Even so, though my collection falls into distinct groups, each group includes at least four absolutely identical bricks.   I don’t need them all, and I never did.

So, what about making the charger an optional extra?   Yes, my latest device came with a 15 watt unit that exploits its slightly-rapid capability, but that unit will probably be adequate for its successor too.   It’s not absolutely necessary – your top-of-the-range monster may be capable of lightning fast charging, but the brick in the box was probably a standard one.   They’ve made the powerful one an optional extra already.

So, let’s sell phones on their own, with nothing else in the box.  (No, as a matter of fact, I don’t need another set of cheapo earphones either).   If you need a new charger, add one on and, if you don’t, that’s one less piece of landfill fodder.  It won’t make the phone appreciably cheaper, but it’s a little boost for the environment.

4 REPLIES 4

BandOfBrothers

Totally agree @hrym 

Rumours are rife that Apple may not supply a charger in their next release of iPhones !

Personally I elect to use Wireless Chargers and the Wireless Chargers from Samsung have started to come with their own cable too.

Maybe the prices of phone's would reduce if chargers and earphones are omitted from the box  :Winking_smiley:

🌈 Stay Safe & Stay Alert.  🌈 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

hrym

How long before you buy the box and the phone itself is an add-on? 😂

I suspect the manufactured cost of the brick and earphones isn't more than a pound or two, so I wouldn't expect much of a reduction, unless it was a USP for the first manufacturer to do it.

63johnw

I think it should be an optional add on, what about someone switching to a new system that requires a different connect (lightning etc) and they haven’t used that system before ? Or all manufacturers could finally get their acts together and use a standard connection? There’s a novel idea 🤣

hrym

It would be an option.   My Moto G8 came with a 15w charger - it's quick, but not rapid - so I needed a new brick.  Depending on what I buy next time, I may or may not want another charger (I've now also got a 3-port 30w job).

There's an added wrinkle if the proposed EU standardisation on USB C goes through - it's a bit ridiculous as prety well all chargers are now USB A outlet and choose-your-own-lead.   The proposal does look an awful lot like regulation for its own sake and for officials to justify their existence.