Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

no more Twitter SMSs

triedeverything
4: Newbie

As from yesterday Voda UK are no longer supporting Twitter sms messaging . I have spoken to Voda live chat and to a rep on the phone but they didn't even know about it. This must be affecting 100s if not 1000s of us. Perhaps if we all complain we can get the decision reversed. I for one will be leaving Voda over it ( as long as the other providers don't follow suit ).

J

43 REPLIES 43

63johnw
17: Community Champion
Hi, never even heard of it and no idea what it is?

jeffkinn

I got that rather surprising message as well yesterday. No idea if it's a Vodafone/Twitter dispute or something else that's going on. I'll try and find out.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

I hope you have more luck than me trying to find out about it jeffkinn.

jeffkinn

I suspect this is am issue caused by Twitter rather than Vodafone. There are stories that this happened much ealier in Twitter's life cycle back in 1989. The issue then, and may well be the issue now, is that in the US phone users pay to receive texts (and phone calls) and therefore there is a revenue stream to be shared between the telco and Twitter.

In this country texts and calls are free to receive (thank goodness) and thus there is no revenue stream for Twitter. 

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

I'me sure you are right, but to only give us a few hours notice is not good practice. I wonder if other providers will copy. I hope not, and as i said earlier the voda staff at the on line chat didn't even know about the decision. I shall have to start asking other providers what they think. Thanks for taking the trouble to reply with a helpful answer.

J.

Is there anyone here that works for Voda that can confirm that this decision is final ?

Nabs

@jeffkinn wrote:

I suspect this is am issue caused by Twitter rather than Vodafone. There are stories that this happened much ealier in Twitter's life cycle back in 1989.

Don't think Twitter existed much back in 1989 😜

I can't remember the exact details but I believe when the service launch it was Vodafone who covered the cost of sending SMS messages to it's customers so Twitter wouldn't have had any costs involved there. I could be wrong on that though, the only details I can find now are on the Twitter Blog

I never got the message telling me it was stopping yet I havn't received any notifications since the end of last week. 

jeffkinn

What a weird typo - I meant 2009 of course.

I'm no good with numbers!

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

drey_p
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

@jeffkinn wrote:

I'm no good with numbers!

:smileylol:  That's made my day! :smileylol:

PWIAC