Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

tablet manual

Digga2607
3: Seeker

A bit of a cry for help, really.

An elderly friend ie 89 years of age, was seeking to buy a tablet to enable his 91 year old wife to be able to read the bible (she has 'Age Related Macular Degenration')

He has no IT knowledge but went into a shop selling PC equipment, new and second hand, and was persuaded that what he needed was a Vodafone tablet. He tells me that he was advised that the item was new, although the overall condition would seem to belie that fact, and came with only a charging cable; no box or manual. I have yet to ascertain the make of the tablet, which I don't believe he should have been advised to buy in the first place, as it has far more features than he will ever need or use, but wonder if anyone can tell me if manuals for older tablets are available. (there does appear to be three letters on the back panel of the tablet but I do not know what they are)

Any advise would be grteatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

John

13 REPLIES 13

AnnS
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

IT does sounds like a case of miss selling @Digga2607 ,  a tablet is meant for internet use though she should have been able to download a version of the Bible over the internet and enlarge the print.

Depending on the make of tablet, take a look at device guides here: Device Guides .  There should also be a online manual available from a Google search.

Thanks, again, AnnS. Yes I agree that it is a case of mis selling but he's a little proud and I don't want to put the inference onto him that he's made a mistake.

If I knew exactly the shop he purchased it from, I would be tempted to have a word with them but think it is the sort of place where they would dig their heels in and refuse to concede that a mistake had been made. I think they were only after a sale!

Will let you know how I go on.

Once again, thanks for your help.

Kind regards,

John

bilaalmirza

Dear John,

I understand your concern. For older tablets, including those sold by Vodafone, manuals might still be available online. You can visit the official Vodafone website's support section or contact Vodafone customer support for assistance. Additionally, if you provide the specific tablet model or the three letters on the back panel, the community here might be able to guide you more effectively.

Best regards.

Many thanks for your help and advise.

I have obtained the model number now ie 9160G, which is, I believe, that of a TAB10!? Certainly the photographs I have seen for that model match the item itself, which I had chance to look at, briefly, at the weekend.

Cynric
16: Advanced member

@Digga2607 I think that this may be where the FAQ for the tablet can be found https://www.tcl.com/uk/en/support-mobile

Not knowing which version I can't be precise, but if you click on the product you get several pages of help for common situations.

Hope this helps.

Cynric

@Digga2607  Take it back and get a refund.

VF have some advice here https://www.vodafone.co.uk/mobile/best-for/older-people-tablets

Personally when I had a similar situation I went to John Lewis where I found the staff to be very helpful, obviously other stores are available - but stick to a well known shop.

Thanks, Cynric.

Yes, the situation would not have occurred in the first place had I been the prurchaser. Even at my advanced age I think I have enough tech savvie to avoid pitfalls like this, plus the fact both of my sons are in IT and would never have allowed it to happen. But he's a much older friend, and I think his pride prevented him from initially asking anybody for help. Anyway, I will try to download a manual to go with the tablet and go through the things most pertinent to his needs. I promised that I would see him after Christmas and set up the Internet connection for him.

Really appreciate all the help I have received from people on the forum.

Kind regards, and best wishes of the season.

John

Cynric

@Digga2607  I did try to find a manual, but no luck with it on any well known website. There are websites that claim to have manuals but I'm cautious about such sites as you never can tell what you could be downloading.

Thanks, Cynric. Yes you are absolutely correct. My resident IT expert, who has his own business and works from home, is extremely keen on security and I run most things past him, if I have a problem.

I'll see what I can come up with.

Regards,

John