cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Exposed Host Function only allowing 1 ip, will making a guest wifi allow for 2?

ZeNyfh
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I need 2 local ips "exposed", disabling the firewall does nothing, is there any workaround/will making a guest wifi or splitting my bands allow for another? (I cannot see for my self, it just says "Your changes have not been updated" whenever I try make a 2nd wifi network)

Firmware version: 19.2.0307-3261019

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Anonymous
Not applicable

That should actually be a breeze to set up, you just need to forward the ports asymmetrically.  You can keep the standard ports within the LAN for both machines, but have them forwarded onto different externally facing ports, and then set up your external clients correspondingly.

If you were trying to have the standard ports expressed externally for both machines, then not only is that unwise from a security point of view, but it would also require a second WAN IP address - which VF are probably not interested in supplying!  Roll on IPv6!

View solution in original position

3 REPLIES 3

Anonymous
Not applicable

Exposed as in DMZ (demilitarized zone)?  Because with only a single external IP address you cannot fully expose more than a single internal device!  You can use all kinds of different tricks to improve things, but the success rates will vary - so maybe if you told us what you are trying to do, rather than how you are trying to do it?

Attempting to port forward from 2 different local ips to get VNC and FTP running on both systems so I can access both on the go without having to rely heavily on third party file transfer/streaming software: (eg: google drive/dropbox for file transfers and teamviewer for remote desktop connection)

This is already set up on one of my computers at home, works flawlessly while the other will just not comply due to the Static NAT/DMZ/Exposed Host only allowing for a single local IPv4.

Anonymous
Not applicable

That should actually be a breeze to set up, you just need to forward the ports asymmetrically.  You can keep the standard ports within the LAN for both machines, but have them forwarded onto different externally facing ports, and then set up your external clients correspondingly.

If you were trying to have the standard ports expressed externally for both machines, then not only is that unwise from a security point of view, but it would also require a second WAN IP address - which VF are probably not interested in supplying!  Roll on IPv6!