Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Retaining static IP address from FTTC to FTTP

daern
4: Newbie

Hi all,

I've had Vodafone's FTTC Openreach service for several years now, and it has a static WAN IPv4 address which they provided FOC when I originally had it installed. Fibre is now a mere 100yds away down the road and should be here in the next couple of weeks and I'm intending to upgrade as soon as possible.

Question: will I still be able to have a static WAN IPv4 address with FTTP? Not bothered if it's the same address, but to not have one would, for various reasons, be a serious inconvenience.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Ripshod
16: Advanced member

@daern wrote:

Thanks.

So it should be still possible to request a static WAN IP address on the FTTP service?

Yes, it's definitely possible. I'll be doing the same myself soon enough.

View solution in original position

6 REPLIES 6

Ripshod

Your current fixed IP arrangement is fixed to your service rather than to your account, so you will lose it when you upgrade unless someone at Vodafone will help migrate it.

If you do end up losing it its quite easy to setup on your new service 

Thanks.

So it should be still possible to request a static WAN IP address on the FTTP service?

Ripshod

@daern wrote:

Thanks.

Yes, it's definitely possible. I'll be doing the same myself soon enough.

Ripshod

@daern just to confirm I have my fixed IP now on FTTP. Only took 10 minutes on TOBI. 

Ace, thank you! No idea when mine will turn up, but good to know that it should be easy to sort.

Out of interest, what router do you get with the FTTP service? I've got a THG3000 with my current 40Mbps service and it's almost astonishingly slow to use if you need to reconfigure anything. e.g. it can take several minutes to login and configure a DHCP reservation. I don't use it for wifi (it's shut off on the router), but I do have quite a large number of devices on the network (100+), most of which are low-traffic IoT bits.

Ripshod

I agree with you, operations in the gui can take ages. IP reservation I found I had to save the settings after every two or I'd hit a timeout.

That's a lot of devices. I don't recall whether the engineer reset my router to do the switch. Hopefully you may be able to keep your settings. Talk to the engineer about that.