Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Static LAN W-Fi Addresses

tiffy
4: Newbie

First post:
Setting up my THG3000 router in preparation for BT to Vodafone FTTP migration on Tuesday 26/03.
I have quite a lot of home network devices and like to configure static LAN IP addresses for connection convenience and tracking.
No issues with the ethernet (hard wired) devices, easily set up to MAC addresses within the router configuration, have not hit a limit as yet, think it may be 32 devices.
My Rpi's, esp32's & ESP8266 devices which are Wi-Fi connected can mostly be set to static IP addresses within their respective programs, however some of my network Wi-Fi connected devices don't offer that option.

I've noted that only Wi-Fi 2 offers the option to set static IP addresses by MAC using a different sub-net?
Does this not appear odd, why not Wi-Fi 1 on the same sub-net as the ethernet connected devices?
Is using Wi-Fi 2 my only option for setting static IP's on Wi-Fi connected devices.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Jayach
16: Advanced member

I think you may be misunderstanding the meaning of "Local Network".

That should encompass the main Wi-Fi as well as the Ethernet network. 

Jayach_0-1711058749028.png

View solution in original position

2 REPLIES 2

Jayach

I think you may be misunderstanding the meaning of "Local Network".

That should encompass the main Wi-Fi as well as the Ethernet network. 

Jayach_0-1711058749028.png

Ahh, that certainly would make more sense, definately a misunderstanding on my part, thank you for the clarification, much appreciated.
I have only had one previous experience with the current Vodafone router when my daughter moved her FTTP service from BT to VF in January, she had no requirement for static local IP address reservations so this is my first attempt.

So, to clarify, I just keep adding my required Wi-Fi IP address reservations by MAC to the existing "Local Network" list, where a device has the ability for ethernet & Wi-Fi connection, such as Raspberry Pi's, will modify their "name" slightly to indicate connection mode, I believe the reservation limit is 32 so should be more than enough.

On my previous ISP migration, in that case Zen VDSL-2 FTTC to BT FTTP, for convenience I changed the SSID and Wi-Fi password on the new BT router to the same as that on my old ZyXEL router, saved the hassle of changing all the Wi-Fi connected devices, in particular, Google Hub's which are a PITA to configure (in my opinion) via mobile phone app.
In this case, my existing Wi-Fi PW is too short, unacceptable to the VF router, I will likely bite the bullet and change it to something longer and reset all my current Wi-Fi devices rather than have to do this on the VF "go live" day on Tuesday.