Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

8 Day Roaming pass for Europe

VFpensioner
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi all,

I'm travelling to Europe next week and going to buy the 8DAYEUROPE roaming pass. My question is, if I buy it today from within the UK, will the 8 days start today, or will it only trigger automatically once I roam in Europe?

VF chat has stated that the pass triggers immediately and that I should only add the pass once I am in Europe.

I'm sceptical of this answer (I used to work for VF in IT Billing Development) and wondered if anyone has experience of using one of these passes.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

AnnS
17: Community Champion

The pass will be active from the date of purchase @VFpensioner 

Can't find much information on this for Vodafone but Voxi is the same company and it clearly states it will be active on the date of purchase.  See here: Voxi Roaming pass 

The pass is quick and easy to activate through the application or through your online account.  See here: Global Roaming and the charge checker here: Charge Checker 

It certainly looks like you have been provided with the correct advise to activate the bundle on the day you leave the UK for your holiday.

edited to add: @VFpensioner just read your reply.  If you are travelling on a ferry be very careful, you will be using the ferry network and will be charged maritime rates.  There used to be something on the charge checker but this has been removed, it used be be something like £2.50 per minute to make calls and £1.50 to received, data charges were also very expensive.  

There shouldn't be any problems when you arrive in Spain, so enjoy your break.

View solution in original position

7 REPLIES 7

AnnS

The pass will be active from the date of purchase @VFpensioner 

Can't find much information on this for Vodafone but Voxi is the same company and it clearly states it will be active on the date of purchase.  See here: Voxi Roaming pass 

The pass is quick and easy to activate through the application or through your online account.  See here: Global Roaming and the charge checker here: Charge Checker 

It certainly looks like you have been provided with the correct advise to activate the bundle on the day you leave the UK for your holiday.

edited to add: @VFpensioner just read your reply.  If you are travelling on a ferry be very careful, you will be using the ferry network and will be charged maritime rates.  There used to be something on the charge checker but this has been removed, it used be be something like £2.50 per minute to make calls and £1.50 to received, data charges were also very expensive.  

There shouldn't be any problems when you arrive in Spain, so enjoy your break.

Thank You AnnS. This clarifies for me.

Vodafone advise that this can be triggered by texting 40506 from my phone. I just hope this works in Spain as I will be travelling overnight on a ferry and if I trigger whilst on VKUK, I immediately lose one day of roaming, which is ridiculous. It can't be that difficult to be able to buy this in advance and then be triggered by the system once roaming! As I said, I worked on VF billing IT projects for seven years and we dealt with far more complicated solutions than this. 

I'll probably get charged for the roaming text as well! Failing that I am going to have to wait until I can get wifi in Spain and then access my account to set up.

What a pain!

Thanks for all you help.

Concorde671
4: Newbie

I had the exact same question and got two different answers from Vodafone (dialing 151, not chat). Firstly I too was told that if I applied for the pass by sending a text to 40506 or calling 151, it would be automatically added to my account that day. The other agent told me that I would only be activated once I was in a European country and the SIM  picked up a European mast. What is it with Vodafone???  I also asked about using my unlimited minutes in Europe as I want to call some family members when I am in France. Again, one agent told me that calls would be free. Whilst the other said I would have to add a £5 per day additional fee to enable me to make calls in Europe.  I just do not know who to believe?

Gemma
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Concorde671 - I'm sorry for this confusion. I've just seen your other post here confirming the plan you're on. The information that @AnnS and @simax have given is correct. 

When you're already on one of our Pay monthly plans that includes 4 Xtra benefits, then you can roam at no extra cost in zones A, B and C. This will include the calls that you make within that country. I hope this helps. 

Gemma
Community Manager
Community Manager

@VFpensioner - I understand that you may have already travelled by now. I’d just like to again apologise for all the confusion surrounding roaming. For Pay Monthly customers, when you’ve purchased one of our Roaming Passes, it will remain on your account and will become active when you start roaming. Please see this under the section of ‘How do Pay Monthly European Roaming Passes work’ on our website. 

Hi Gemma,

I have just purchased passes for our two handsets on the basis of the advice that the passes will not activate until we begin roaming which will be on 24th September. However, the start date of the passes in my app state 18th September. I would just like to confirm that the passes will not activate until 24th September.

Cheers W

Gemma
Community Manager
Community Manager

@WAMW - I can confirm if you’re one of our Pay monthly customers, the European Roaming Pass will start when you begin roaming, not from the date of purchase.

For Pay as you go customers, the European Roaming Pass will start from the date of purchase.

Please take a look at the ‘How do Pay as you go European Roaming Extras work’ or ‘How do Pay monthly European Roaming Extras work’ section at the bottom of this page.