Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Can I buy a friend's contract phone?

maxim2245
3: Seeker

A friend of mine has recently got  a new iPhone. He doesn't  feel he needs the new phone so was looking to sell it. Can I buy it or does the phone belong to Vodafone. It's a new 36 month contract where he has paid £80 for the phone and the rest is monthly, 

I know him well but what happens if he falls behind on his monthly payments? Will Vodafone block the phone? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hi @maxim2245 

The iPhone will be unlocked to all networks so your sim card will be accepted.

Many upgrade their phone just to sell it on. 

Your friend will need to wipe the phone so you can enter your apple ID.

In regards to non payment of the bill usually Vodafone would restrict usage of the account itself.

Blocking the phone's imei is rare. 

Take into account your friend is still actually paying for the iPhone via their payments. 

If I can be of any further help then please don't hesitate to ask.  😎 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

View solution in original position

8 REPLIES 8

BandOfBrothers

Hi @maxim2245 

The iPhone will be unlocked to all networks so your sim card will be accepted.

Many upgrade their phone just to sell it on. 

Your friend will need to wipe the phone so you can enter your apple ID.

In regards to non payment of the bill usually Vodafone would restrict usage of the account itself.

Blocking the phone's imei is rare. 

Take into account your friend is still actually paying for the iPhone via their payments. 

If I can be of any further help then please don't hesitate to ask.  😎 

Current Phone  >

maxim2245

Just out of interest do other networks block the imei for non payment?  I have a local phone repair shop who trades phones and he told me not to buy it as they will block it if he stops paying. Google search suggests EE has a 6 month condition attached right? 

BandOfBrothers

Vodafone UK used to have a stipulation that a person is asked not to sell the phone until it's been paid for but that's no longer the case. 

Many people upgrade their phone just to sell on to create some instant cash. 

Another network may have it's own terms and conditions which would need to be checked. 

The main reason why a network would block / blacklist a phone's imei is if it's been reported as lost or stolen. 

Some have been caught up in an insurance claim issue where an unscrupulous person has sold the phone on to a new owner ,to then make a claim that it's been stolen or lost which then a network would block the phone and only unblock the phone for the original owner. 

Another thing to consider is the warranty applied.

Apple may ask for the receipt of sale.

I hope that helps. 

Current Phone  >

maxim2245

Thank you. That was very helpful 

maxim2245

Do you work for Vodafone? Are you sure about this? Sorry to ask this again but it's quite a bit of money and I don't wanna end up with a brick. 

It's just that I asked this question on another website earlier and this is the type of responses I got there. I would like to buy this phone but don't want any comebacks. 

yes if he stopped paying Voda would cut off the airtime and block the phone - also likely send in the debt collectors
This, any of the networks will blacklist the handset if the payments stop.
[10 years as a fraud investigator with one of the networks]

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey @maxim2245, as long as your friend maintains any outstanding payments on the device loan there will be no issues. If not, restrictions can be imposed on their account an ultimately the phone. With regards to a DCA company being involved, this would be against the owner of the account with Vodafone.

Thank you Mark. I am slightly confused. So are you saying that if he stops paying his bill down the line the phone can get its IMEI blacklisted?  Even if they have now sold it onto me? I paid him the money yesterday evening after the advice on here that the phone was his to sell and it would not be effected if he stopped paying his bill. 

Can I do anything about this now? As I don't want to face issues. Would rather be worry free that the phone is mine and will work regardless. 

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

Apologies for that @maxim2245 just read my message back and it's not too clear. When I said phone it should've read phone number. By this I mean the number connected to the device loan in the account. If your friend stops paying the plan, all actions taken by us to recuperate the costs will be against our customer, not yourself.