Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Does Wi-FI Calling work abroad?

zpjet
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I'm just abroad and I have two lines on my iPhone 12 mini.

One local SIM, and Vodafone eSIM on 24 month contract.

I'm indoors now on a reliable and fast Wi-Fi.

Local line connects with Wi-Fi Calling (WFC), but British one doesn't.

When I'm in UK, they both use WFC.

I didn't find where to enable WFC abroad.

I tried to disable local WFC but British wouldn't enable.

I did think it would be preferable for carriers to use WFC abroad as they could save on roaming?

The status bar would also look better with UK listed.

Yeah I know, such first world problem.

4 REPLIES 4

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

I found this @zpjet 

From Terms-and-conditions/consumer/network-and-coverage/vodafone-wi-fi-calling/ 

“ 11. The use of Wi-Fi Calling whilst roaming is prohibited and is not supported. However, in certain circumstances it may be possible to enable Wi-Fi Calling whilst abroad and where used additional charges will apply. ”

“ 12. If you're a Pay Monthly or Pay as you go consumer customer and make calls over Wi-Fi to a mobile or landline number within the country you're roaming in, your call will be charged at our standard international rates (business customers should check their standard international rates) and will be treated as a call from the UK to an international number. A pre-call announcement will play prior to connecting your call to remind you of this charge. ”

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

AnnS

Hi @zpjet 

Please see this previous thread for information on how you can get round to being able to use WiFi calling abroad. 

https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Pay-monthly/WiFi-Calling-Whilst-Abroad/td-p/2625641

It's interesting, but it didn't work for me.

Am I the only one who thinks that the carrier's thinking is kind of the other way around?

Internet is free, so if I'm abroad, I could get on Wi-Fi, the data would go home for free and my phone could work as like being home?

And I'm even saving them money for infrastructure?

donnyguy
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

Hey there, 

So the wifi-calling feature and whether or not it'll work abroad is solely down to the network operator providing it.

• Some networks allow it to be used abroad freely (T-Mobile USA and Digi Malaysia are two examples)
  • Some only work if you combine with a VPN so they've clearly been set up to only work in their home countries

So if you're overseas right now and it's not working, it's by design. You could try putting a VPN on your phone to see if tricking it into thinking it's on a UK wifi network fixes it for you. No guarantee though. I assume Vodafone will want to generate some roaming revenue from you instead 😀