cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Smart N8 (unlocked now now Asda mobile) camera app stopped opening and sw update fails

gpusr7
2: Seeker

I have a Smart N8 (VFD 610) I have had for a few years. I had it on Vodafone to begin, then unlocked it and began using Asda mobile PAYG. Asda recently moved from using EE to Vodafone network. That was all OK. At the end of last week (actually on Saturday 6th Nov) I found the camera app wouldn't open; on clicking it, it appears to be starting but just quick black screen then it closes. I looked in About phone to check for sw updates. It says Vodafone have an important software update available. I switched on Wifi (connected) yet when I try to update it just gives error 'Attention Download failed. Check your network'. Current version is Android 7, kernel 3.18.35, baseband version MOLY.LR9.W1444.MDLWTG.MP.V110.5.P50, Security patch level 5 Macrh 2017, Custom built version 100FCN2. Update version says 7.0-160FCN1. Am I correct this should just download over Wifi and install?

12 REPLIES 12

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Yes if an update is available and the phone is eligible to receive the update it'll happen automatically or go into something similar to the settings and then Software update section.

Regarding your camera app try going into something similar to Settings, Apps, Camera,  Storage,  clear cache @gpusr7 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

@BandOfBrothers - I've already tried to go via Settings|About phone|Software updates. That is where it said an update was available but when I try to click 'Continue' under the Update Information (showing the update version 7.0-160FCN1) I get the error.

Regarding camera app: Yes I tried clearing the app data and cache but to no avail.

Wonder if the update is only accessible (ie downloadable) if it is directly on Vodafone? Currently it is on Asda (using Vodafone network) but if I put a Vodafone SIM (temporarily) would that allow the update - then I could remove SIM and put the Asda one back?

BandOfBrothers

As Vodafone originally the phone it will still probably have their flavour of android on it, so yes temporarily swapping sims may instigate an update.

Also make sure you have ample internal storage for the update @gpusr7 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

AnnS

Having done some digging around @gpusr7 the N8 was made by TCL Technology on behalf of Vodafone. 

The problem here looks like the phone has been discontinued and although the phone states there is an update to download, it's not actually available for the phone.   Looking at the GSM website, the phone was made with Android Nougat and it doesn't mention that it is updatable. If you use Google there are drivers files that you can download using a USB connection to PC.  

I would say do a factory reset and try again but the phone will function perfectly happily on Android 7 and you won't have any problems using the ASDA SIM for calls, texts and data. 

However, there is no harm to keep checking as mentioned here on device guides Device Guides - Update Software N8 

Having just noticed you reply after posting @gpusr7 , that should be adequate, but if it was a large update the phone would need space to store each file before starting a further download and could still be cutting it fine. 

AnnSBandOfBrothers 

Thanks for those ideas. My actual problem really is the camera app not working. As you said the Android 7 Nougat is fine for calls/texts etc. so I don't really need update there.

AnnS

If you have a Vodafone SIM @gpusr7 there is nothing stopping you from taking the phone into a Vodafone Store, they will be able to access the phone and arrange for a repair.  See here for further information: How do I book a device in for repair? 

The biggest problem will be this will a chargeable repair and it just may be far too expensive to consider, plus this is a discontinued phone, if the phone is not made, any parts may not be available.

If you decide on a new phone, there are lots of inexpensive phones on the market with good memory and increased RAM for downloading and storing photos etc.

AnnS

Hi @gpusr7 

According to GSMarena here: GSM arena Smart N8 the phone only has 16GB internal space with 1.5GB RAM, that is very small capacity and may be the reason for the update failing.

The way to get round this is to delete anything possible on the phone, move any possible content to the SD card if you have one and clear the phone to make room for the update, also the update would need storage space for the downloaded update files before installing to the phone.

With a bit of luck this will get the update and camera sorted at the same time.  

@Anns, I've moved videos to SD card. This currently leaves about 3.9GB free in internal memory. Surely that must be more than enough as the update shows as 667.8MB? Even if that is compressed to 30% of original that would be 2.2GB.

gpusr7

I haven't updated the phone software since unlocking the phone and starting to use Asda mobile (previously using EE, and in September moved to Vodafone network) that the camera app should stop working. It was working until around 7th November 2021. It is not the camera since both Trend Micro QR code reader (rear camera) and MS Teams (front camera) are able to use the camera. I've tried running the phone camera app both before and while those 2 apps are loaded/running; the camera app attempts to start (screen flashes black) then exits back to home screen. Any idea if it is possible to resurrect the camera app (would getting some kind of debug by switching on developer options help get info as to cause)? Is it possible to get another camera app from Play Store and if so recommendations?