Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Unable to connet to London Underground wifi using VodafoneWifi

robhardy
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

This used to work for me but has now stopped.

Following https://www.vodafone.co.uk/shop/internet/wi-fi/ - the page states

• Make sure you’ve got Wi-Fi switched on in your settings
  • When you go into a station with Wi-Fi coverage, you’ll connect automatically

Note, there's no username or password.

Using the VodafoneWifi network,  when I try and connect I get a PEAP authentication screen, which asks for a certificate and an identity. There is no captive portal to enter the Vodafone username/password. Also, the instructions on the page say connection is automatic.

The alternative way of connecting, using the Virgin Wifi network, then clicking the Vodafone icon, results in the browser hanging with a spinner.

I've contacted Vodafone 5 times about this. Their replies are either:

- enter your username and password (which is non-sensical as there is no prompt for it)

- or they reset the online password (which doesn't work)

- or they don't understand about the VodafoneWifi network not being BT and that connection should be automatic as explained on their website

Anyone else seen this? I have a feeling I'm meant to have a certificate installed which the phone automatically chooses, which I'm missing.  Or, there is some missing configuration for the wifi, but Vodafone are unable to explain what this is.

(I also can't use the BT Wifi, which may or may not be related).  My account is meant to include Wifi.

Can anyone get this to work?

35 REPLIES 35

nnbbrr
3: Seeker
3: Seeker
Same here.

I get redirected to browser screen to enter My Vodafone username/pass, they go through but I then get "Sorry we are experiencing problems with WIFI service". Like that for the past week at least. I did also change to Google Pixel phone that might be causing issues, but otherwise that login screen worked just fine on previous Android device.

Screenshot: https://goo.gl/photos/HkJFLpRPBkFUnWze6

Retired-Sarah_L
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi @robhardy and @nnbbrr

I've sent you both a private message with details on how our team can get this looked into for you. 

Thanks, 

Sarah

Hi Sarah_L

I am also suffering with this problem after moving over to a Google Pixel, I cannot get onto the London Underground Wifi, if I try to connect through Virgin Media it keeps telling me that my password is not correct, and if i try to connect direct to Vodafone Wifi it brings up a page asking for PEAP authentication screen.

Many thanks in advance.

Hello @Sincs1 and @Markoc84

I am going to send you both a Private Message with further help. 

Louise

Dear Sarah,

I have been struggling with same problem for almost 3weeks.. have done so many things to solve this problem... ..not sure why...

can you send me private message please!!

many thanks

JIN XX

Sarah, I am unable to connect to the wifi on the underground. I have been having the same problem as other users. I either get a message saying 'we're experiencing problems with our wifi service please try again.' or 'your connection is not private'.. I used to be able to log in and do not understand why this has recently started happening. please help..

Hi  @illusing007

I will PM you with further help.

Thanks,

Sarah 

This is resolved, but I'm not entirely sure how.  I had to research myself how this is meant to work, as Vodafone customer support weren't able to diagnose this (at most, they would reset the username/password, which doesn't address the issue). 

I found out that the 'PEAP' authentication method has an 'inner authentication' method called EAP-SIM which is how the network is meant to authenticate.  This uses a code on your SIM card, called the IMSI code (International Mobile Subscriber Identity).

1. I installed an app which tells me my IMSI number on the SIM.  I then phoned Vodafone, I managed to eventually get the customer support rep to check the IMSI number being used for authentication. The number Vodafone had was incorrect.  I asked the CS rep to update the number to the number I gave from the app.  (This might have happened after I changed the SIM card)

2. On my phone, I need to select EAP-SIM as the authentication method on the PEAP screen, as it wasn't defaulting to this.

However, this still didn't resolve the issue. I escalated via Twitter and someone (from the UK) phoned me up, who said they would escalate.  After that, *something* happened, and it started to work.  I don't know what the missing link was.   So at last it's resolved, but it's not a satisfactory process.

These were the list of problems I found with the way Vodafone handled this:

1. I was given a new SIM card.  Vodafone didn't update  IMSI number they held from the new SIM.

2. Customer support aren't aware of the existence of VodafoneWifi

3. Customer support insist on resetting the password for my Vodafone account, which doesn't resolve the issue as it uses EAP-SIM to authenticate not a captive portal

4. Customer support aren't able to diagnose the issue.  Attempts for them to escalate it are bounced back - as a  'user issue' - resulting in no progression of the issue and circular talks about resetting the (irrelevant) password

Repeatedly, when I mentioned 'wifi' to customer support, they'd start talking about 'BT Wifi'. I explained this is different - I actually had an argument with one - who wouldn't accept that I was talking about VodafoneWifi on the underground as distinct from BT Wifi.

If anyone from Vodafone is reading, I ask that you brief your customer support team on the existence of VodafoneWifi, and that this uses a different authentication method than BT Wifi, and that resetting the password isn't the way to resolve authentication issues with it.  It's incredibly frustrating, but at least it works now.

Rahim
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@robhardy Thank you for feeding this back to us! 

We're glad to hear the issue has now been resolved.