Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Update won't start

scains25
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi, I have avodaphone VFD 700.  It says there is a new software update available,  6.0-260FCN1.  If I press continue it doesn't seem to start, just stays at 0.0KB out of 774.3 MB, no progess along the bar , 0% done.  My WIFI is working Ok, I did try shut down and restart.  I have 1.5 GB free on the phone.  Any idea how to start this update ?  My phone has been running slowly for a few weeks, I hoped this might solve the problem.  Or is it stuck in a loop trying to update, which is making it slow ?    I did have a long chat with vodaphone support, they suggested all the above checks, but couldn't fix it.   Thanks very much

16 REPLIES 16

AnnS
17: Community Champion

Hi @scains25 

Before you start the update over a WiFi connection check how much free space available on the phone, it is not a large capacity phone and it is probably quite a large update and will need a fairly large available space to download the files.

If the phone has a memory card try going into your settings > storage and eject the memory card, follow this with deleting any old texts message conversations and free up as much space as possible.

Hi, I already said there is 1.5 GB free and the update is only 774 MB , so enough space for 2 updates.  I don't have a memory card just a sim card.   I wouldn't have thought text messages would take up significant space ??  I have deleted all the apps I can, plus photos, videos etc.  Thanks, Simon

hrym

I'd normally expect 1.5gb to be enough but, as I said, the process will require working space - that's to unpack the update files and probbaly also create temporary ones.   That may be getting too close to the limit of availability for comfort.

A file of that size suggests a full platform update rather than just a security one (they're typically about a tenth of that).   What version of Android do you currently have and are you able to check what's available for your phone?

If all else fails, the last resort would be a factory reset (which I agree is a total pain) and then try again before doing anything else.

Hi thanks for your suggestions. The android version is 6.0.  In settings it says "android security patch level 1 April 2016", that must be near the date it was bought, so I don't know if it never managed any updates ?  I don't know how to tell what other updates are available, it just says  update 6.0-260FCN1 , 774.3 MB is available.  Is there a list of updates online, or a vodaphone manufacturers website ?  I tried the vodaphone help chat but they are really just about the calling and internet, not the phone itself.  They suggested I need to talk to the manufacturers, I suppose they produce these updates.  Thanks very much, Simon

Evie
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hey @scains25 - Thank you trying everything you have so far! Apologies if you have already done this but could you go to Settings > About Phone > Software Updates > Check for updates? Let us know if you run into the same issues.

If you do, could you attach any screenshots of the errors/messages you are getting to this thread when trying to update please?

hrym

I'm wondering whether this is a spurious message.   Depending on how new the model was in 2016, it might well not update beyond Android 6 (my HTC One M9 got version 7, but it was a new model then).   OS updates normally only run for two years.   If there were further security patches, you'd have seen them by now (not all manufacturers release them - my HTC never got any).

It's very unlikely there's anything major (or indeed, anything at all) at this stage and the message may be a hangover from much earlier.   I suspect the version notified is the version you have - I've had similar messages with map updates for my car.

Try what @Evie suggests and I suspect you'll be told there are no updates.

Hi, I found the update just the way evie suggested. The version release note just says it "will improve the user experience and product performance", so a bit vague.  Thanks

hrym

I still suspect that you actually have the most recent version available for your device, though I don't know why it appears to think otherwise.   A 700mb file would be a full platform update, which you wouldn't be getting at this stage.   You are already on Android 6 so I'd expect only security updates (and not even those, probably) which are about 70mb.

Hi, that is exactly how I found there is an update available.  It never gives any error message, I just select continue but it stays at 0%,  0.0KB progress.  wifi is ok, also plugging in to mains, charging OK.  I have cleared out photos and messages, now 1.4 GB free, the update is 774.3 MB.  Thanks