Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Vodafone VPN Via Phone Hotspot

Kipling130
2: Seeker

Hi

After 20 odd years with O2 I've just joined Vodafone. I used my phone regularly to set up a hotspot to connect my work laptop.

The laptop being a work device uses fortinet to connect to the works systems. via what I presume is a VPN

This works without issue for O2

However it simply will not connect using Vodafone.

The internet suggests that Vodafone may block VPN traffic / connections. Can anyone confirm if this is true and if so can I get it unblocked? 

It's a bit of a deal-breaker really and not something I was aware of or expected when signing up.

The phone is a pixel 8 and other devices connect via the hotspot fine.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Kipling130

Bad form to respond to ones own posts I know. But i thought i'd add the solution for archive purposes.

The problem appears to have been Vodaphone's Unloved "secure net" that was added to my package as a trial.

At the point of posting I had switched this off, but it apparently needs a few hours to propagate through the system and remove itself. By morning it was working fine.

By means of testing I switched securenet back on and the problem returned.

View solution in original position

2 REPLIES 2

CallumR

Hey @Kipling130. Thanks for taking the time to reach out to us. 

We'd like to take a closer look into this for you. Can you please reach out to our Social Media team via Facebook or X. We'll then be able to check over everything for you and find out if we're blocking VPN traffic. 

Kipling130

Bad form to respond to ones own posts I know. But i thought i'd add the solution for archive purposes.

The problem appears to have been Vodaphone's Unloved "secure net" that was added to my package as a trial.

At the point of posting I had switched this off, but it apparently needs a few hours to propagate through the system and remove itself. By morning it was working fine.

By means of testing I switched securenet back on and the problem returned.