Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Throw away my iphone 4s?

pgsaline
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

In this throw away world, is my iphone 4s completely worthless? Upgrading the software disabled my wifi button. Apple know about this problem but cannot help as the phone was supplied by Vodaphone. Vodaphone can't help because the phone is 2 years old.

So a software upgrade causes the waste of a phone! Can anyone help? No.

Vodaphone customer service can only "sell" me a new phone giving a fe £ off the cost as a meagre response to the problem.

Apple at least sounded contrite and sent me a link to Consumer Law. Vodaphone quoted their contract and said Apple's response was not vaild.

Is a two year old phone really worthless? Is customer service just about selling a new device? Does anyone care?  Answers - Yes, it is worthless. Yes, customers service only care about selling new things. No, no one cares.

In the bin with the 4s. My father used to straighten old nails so they could be reused.

A very, very disappointed Vodaphone customer

10 REPLIES 10

drey_p
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

Hi there

I am not really sure what you wanted / expected Vodafone to do. Your phone is out of warranty, so you aren't entitled to a warranty repair.

Your best option would be to upgrade your contract in order to get a new handset. 

PWIAC

What did I want? I wanted to continue with a £9.50 per month data contract.

I didn't think a software upgrade should damage the working. If I had bought the phone from Apple they would have swapped as it was damaged by their upgrade but say my contract was with Vodaphone.

Vodaphone quote £176 for a repair. Apple quote £146. Buy a new 4s today on line for £120! I thought that Voda would swap my phone, charge £99 and I would be happy.

I also want a world where we don't throw away perfectly good bits of kit for small problems. It would also help emormously if customer service left me feeling like I was worth something after 20 years with Vodaphone.

Throw away the iphone - throw away the customer. Neither are worth much.

Theakstone
12: Established
Have you tried reinstalling the software? I ask because my wife has a 4s on the latest version ( 8.1.2 ) and it works well.
Try putting it in DFU mode and reinstalling. Might be worth a try.

DFU Mode

Hold the Power Button (3 secs)
Continue holding the power button and also hold the home button (15 secs)
Release the power button while continuing to hold the home button (10 secs)
Your device should prompt with the "Connect to iTunes Screen"

Theakstone
Should have added, the reason for doing it this way is that you get a completely clean reinstall, as opposed to just updating parts of the software if you do a OTA update.
Try it, like I say, it might work.

Theakstone
Sorry about another post, but if you do do a DFU restore, make sure you back up your phone or you will lose everything that is on it I.e photos messages and music.

jeffkinn
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion
Apple is being totally dishonest wih you, as is their custom. The fact that the phone came from Vodafone and not directly from them it completely irrelevant. They write the software and not Vodafone. They refuse to repair phones that are more than 1 year old and Vodafone gives the 2 year warranty.

Have you set up the phone again as a new phone from scratch? That's the first thing to try.

Expecting the network to replace the phone is not realistic. The contract for airtime does not include the hardware.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

Thanks for the comments.Apple are at fault, I agree. Vodaphone did supply the phone originally though.

I have spent 3 hours with Apple customer service restoring everything in every possible combination.

Ben_H
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi @pgsaline ,

Out of interest, which iOS version are you actually running on the phone? I'm not aware of any such generic Wi-Fi issues. 

If you'd like for us to check your number has the APN's needed to provision some apple services, don't hesitate to come and speak to us on Live help.

Thanks,

Ben

Thank you for your interest in my problem. I upgraded to 8.1.2

A quick search on line gave me a host of similar problems. All equally frustrated.

Apple seemed to be aware of the problem though they, like Vodaphone, are always careful to not admit anything. I have spent several hours talking to Apple & Vodphone about the problem. If you have any good ideas, please tell me how to get in touch.