cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

After update to Nougat, massive data drain!

Jembob
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hello,
I have searched high and low on the internet for a solution but I can't find anyway to fix this problem.I hope someone can help -
I got a Samsung Galaxy S7 on a Vodaphone contract in Janurary 2017

Everything worked absolutely fine on Android version Marshmellow until recently (Feb I think) I upgraded to Android Nougat 7.0. After this I have been having problems with my data allowance. I first noticed this in March when I started to get text messages saying my mobile data was being used up from Vodaphone until half way through the month my data was turned off automatically as it had all been used up and luckily I have a data cap (it had used 800 mb in 15 days) I then started monitoring the data usage on my wifi at home as my mobile data was turned off for the rest of the month. I noticed that 'Android OS' had used 6 GB over wifi (+the 800 MB over mobile data) in the month (my partner has S7 edge which had the same updates and his 'Andorid OS' usage is less then 200 mb for the whole month + previous months under Marshmellow for me were all under 400MB per month)

I have tried various things to try and stop this data being used, such as:

Turned of any backup with cloud/ google
Set updates to update over wifi only
Restricted background data on all apps and all system apps that it lets me
turned off location services

I have now done a factory reset of my phone and 'Android OS' still appears to be using data at the same rate. In the last 3 hours it as used 31 MB of data (over wifi as I still have my mobile dataturned off as I'm scared it will use it all up)

I also have had significant battery drain since the update to Nougat and feel this may be linked.

All other apps on the phone are listed separately for data usage and do not appear to be using any strange amounts.

I don't know what else I can do without wiping my entire phone which I don't really know how to do! But as it stands I have a phone which I can't turn my mobile data on so have not got internet outside of my home!

Thanks for reading, please help!

5 REPLIES 5

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hi @Jembob

Can you post some screen shots of the relevant settings pages please ?

I updated my s7 edge in early Match from Marshmallow to Nougat and haven't been hit with higher data consumption. 

A Cpw with a service centre inside or a Samsung Experience Store would be able to run a diagnostic. 

May I ask which internet app you use ? Chrome can have in my experience detrimental affects on the phone. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Hi BandofBrothers Thanks for replying!

I have attached a few screenshots.

Unfortunately I didn't think to take some before I factory reset my phone so they don't show the large amounts of data usage that had been happening all month. This is the data usage for around 4 hours since I reset my phone, bearing in mind I have had mobile data turned off for most of the time. My partner has the S7 edge like you too and hasn't had any of this extra data usage and uses his phone way more then me! I did use chrome as a browser but have not reinstalled it as yet. Are there any more settings you wanted a screen shot of? Cheers

BandOfBrothers

Hi @Jembob

You're welcome. 

I agree it may have been better to see the full figures. 

My Android OS is running at 61.15mb. 

I never have Wifi turned on as my Data Allowance covers my usage.

My first suggestion would to have cleared the System Cache but I would have thought the factory reset would have taken care of that. 

Wifi advanced settings and make sure Smart network switch is off

Then go into Settings,Battery and check off the apps that have not been optimised to save power. 

Some similar posts from elsewhere that may help. 

https://androidforums.com/threads/android-os-excessive-data.1009403/

It does seem your not alone with this with users both on Marshmallow and Nougat are experiencing issues 

One app I don't use is Facebook as this imo is a Data and Resource hog. I access Facebook via my URL box and by a shortcut on my homescreen. 

If you need to see any of my settings etc then just ask and I'll post them so you can compare. 

I can only suggest to closely monitor it and if this continues then take it to a Samsung Service Centre which be found in this Link.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

I have an s7 edge and when I first got my phone back with nougat

I noticed a data spike especially in GOOGLE PLAY SERVICE'S 

But after a couple of weeks reduced quite dramaticly 

Over the space of a few days GOOGLE PLAY SERVICE eat just under 800 mb in the space of a week and then died down to normal.so from my experience as I updated it must of had to not just install nougat but then update all the apps service's it uses when your off line

I might of got a couple of things mixed up here but I bet you find GOOGLE PLAY SERVICE( not store)  will have used a huge chunk of your data in your data usage section under connections 

SKYMAN513
13: Advanced Member

Just had a look at your screen shot 

I also have an s7 edge but the only rogue data user of mine GOOGLE PLAY SERVICE'S  

In last month's data usage it used just over a gig of data, and for half the month I had background data switched off 

Which even more bizarrely had no effect apart from making my phone sluggish 

And then as I stopped battling with it, it seemed to calm down but I still think it's excessive, so if you check at the end of your payment month just have a look the day before your allowance renews, and I bet GOOGLE PLAY SERVICE'S (NOT STORE) is a major culprit 

I have been trying for weeks with this and I know things run in the back ground but the amount of data it uses is for me imo 

Very excessive yet I can find loads of people who have the problem but no one can give an explanation for that amount of data usage and what exactly the data is that it's chewing,

And this is in the background 

At the end of my plan month it was third from top and I don't even use Google, Google voice or chrome. I use maps maybe 3 times a week and that only just used over 100mb over a month