Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Charges on my bill from 2016......

suzanneandalix
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

I just recevied my bill from this month & there were some one off charges on there that I wasn't expecting.  I recently upgraded my phone and expected there to be a charge of £20 + delivery but there was also an additional one off charge of just under £55.  When I queried this I was told it related to a phone supplied in Nov 2016?  How can I be charged now for something going back to 2016?   I dont dispute that I upgraded my phone in 2016 but I'm pretty sure it was billed & paid for it at the time.  When I asked for proof that this hasn't previously be invoiced they said they're unable to supply.   As a good will gesture they've offered me £10 credit to my account but say the charge still applies.  Surely they can't just invoice me 12 months down the line, without proof that it hasn't previously been paid?  Why wasn't this picked up before?  I've just recevied a bill for over £175+ 5 weeks before Christmas and I'm just exptected to pay it.  Well vodafone my direct debit has been cancelled, I'm returning my upgrade & cancelling my contract, the other remaining contract, I have, will you will also be cancelled as soon as the term lapses.   You've just lost a customer who's never missed a payment and has been very loyal for 3+ years; was also looking to add an ipad to the account & all for the sake of £55

9 REPLIES 9

AnnS
17: Community Champion

Hi @suzanneandalix

It's unlikely a charge relating to a phone from your last upgrade, it;s more than likely pro ratered charges.

When you upgrade or change your contract in any way, to bring you in line with your new tariff and billing date, you will be charged pro ratered for the first month, this will mean being charged part of a month, plus one full months line rental in advance.  There should also be a credit for line rental paid in advance prior to upgrading, if the credit is not on this months bill, it will probably be on the following months bill.

The first thing to do is to check the dates you have been billed, this will give an indication of any pro ratered extra charges. 

There is also no reason for live chat not being in a position to go through everything with you and give better clarification. If you find you are going round in circles and need a better explanation, this is something where the forum Team will be able to help.  Give them time to get to the thread, they will be able to PM you will a secure email link for your details.

Thanks for replying - this was the first thing I checked and there are pro-rata charges on my account which I anticipated.  My usual bill averages £85 for both phones & I was expecting this months bill to be high just not £175 as the upfront cost of the phone was only £20 + delivery.  When I called the billing line they said it related to an upgrade made in Nov 2016 that never got invoiced.  Hopefully it will get sorted

BandOfBrothers

Hi @suzanneandalix

I can well understand why you would be unimpressed and upset at this.

I agree its a tad bit late for the network to be trying to lay a charge for a phone so far back.

If customer service have confirmed its for a phone then that's what we must advise and act upon.

Ask them what phone model it is and then if your still sure its not right then ask for this to be escalated to a senior agent.

They have to provide evidence and support for a charge wether it be for services or a product. 

If you have cancelled your Direct Debit then Vodafone have no way of collecting a bill or refunding if relevant. This could in the extreme escalate to defaults and debt collection agencies etc. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Thanks - They have advised that it was for an iphone 7 which I accpet I received in Nov 2016 but I pretty sure they have previously billed me for this, at the time it was supplied.  I'll try and speak to someone else about it as I don't want to pay for it a second time.  I cancelled my direct debit until it's resolved, I'm willing to pay for all outstanding charges but I'm not repaying for a phone I believe I've already paid for.  Will try calling them again

Youre very welcome @suzanneandalix

I know and understand what your stance is over payment and direct debit but consider that at the moment Vodafone believe the charge is valid. 

So if they cannot collect the funds they can and will restrict services and they don't even have to tell you that they have decided to report this on your credit file which lasts 6 years affecting applications for credit , mobile phone contracts etc etc. 

Its much easier acquiring a refund than having a default removed.

It is of course your decision. 

Current Phone  >

63johnw

Hi @suzanneandalix using the my Vodafone app I can look at my bills going back to November last year, you could try that to see if it shows anything?

Thanks for your help - I've just spoken to a senior advisor & all charges have beem waived!  Bill down to £95 :Thumbs_Up:

Good to hear common sense has prevailed on this occasion @suzanneandalix

Current Phone  >

@suzanneandalix I'm really glad that everything is now sorted for you, thanks for taking the time to let us know.