Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Dongle

chris61
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I purchased a dongle approx. 6 years ago which was unlimited usage and I have been told it is being changed to a monthly payment dongle - I have to buy a 'pack'.  How can this be?  I dont want a monthly use, I bought it because the money stayed on it until it was used. How can this now be changed.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jeffkinn
17: Community Champion

It can be changed because you are not in a contract and the plan you were on has been withdrawn.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

View solution in original position

9 REPLIES 9

jeffkinn

It can be changed because you are not in a contract and the plan you were on has been withdrawn.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

I dont want to use it every month - thats why I bought one I could use whenever I wanted. It is not fair that this can be done and it doesnt state in the terms and conditions that this might happen.

jeffkinn
As you are out of contract there are no terms and conditions. Vodafone can offer you a service or not as they please. Just as you can choose to use their services or not.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

drey_p
16: Advanced member

@chris61 wrote:

... it doesnt state in the terms and conditions that this might happen.

Hi there

That isn't entirely correct.  You are bound by the PAYG T&Cs which state:

7. Variations

7a  We may change our charges or introduce new charges...

7b  We may make changes to or withdraw services at any time and we can make changes to or introduce new terms to this agreement at any time...

7c  By continuing to use the services, you agree to these changes. If you are not happy with any of these changes, you do not have to continue to top up your account or use the services

So, in summary, Vodafone can make the changes as per the T&Cs you have agreed to.  If you continue to use the dongle, you are agreeing to any new changes to the T&Cs which can be found here

PWIAC

I didn't buy a payngo, it was a topupngo and these terms and conditions are not the terms and conditions that were in the box when I purchased it.  Also it is now not fit for the purpose it was purchased for.

drey_p

The TopUpandGo plan refers to the PAYG T&Cs:

Your agreement with us is made up of:

• the pay as you go Airtime terms and conditions

So I am sorry to say, you are very much bound by the PAYG T&Cs.

PWIAC

" So I am sorry to say, you are very much bound by the PAYG T&Cs."

... which is no consolation whatsoever to any of the victims of this arbitrary and radical change of contract terms.

It may be legal, but it is still a very shoddy business practice. It is actually retrospective, since customers who have already paid money to Vodafone cannot now use that money in the way that was contracted for when they paid it.

But hey, the T&Cs make it all right! 

if any help I had the same problem which took a lot of sorting out. I took the dongle to the vodafone shop where after a discussion with 'customer services' they agreed to refund the outstanding credit but not the cost of the dongle. They said the terms and conditions allowed them to no longer support it and if I wasnt happy I had to write in. I did write but it was ignored. when it had been ignored for eight weeks the ombudsman services contacted vodafone and persuaded them to refund  the cost of the dongle and the unused credit.

I am also no longer a mobile customer. I suspect it cost the somewhat more to acquire me as a customer than (the £40 odd) it would have cost to say sorry we cant make this work here is your money back

Well done for persisting. I hope that Vodafone have leart something from this long, sorry story.

But I doubt it.