cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Excessive wifi use on iPad when roaming use age capable set.

rarneil
3: Seeker
I have just received my monthly phones, iPads and mobile wifi account. I'm horrified to see my ipad account is £83.74 plus VAT
Why was I not notified I was going over my 4gb usage. As my normal account is normally £13.33 plus vat. Surely you can understand my horror at this bill £70.41 plus VAT over my normal bill. As I have roaming usage capacity on!!!
15 REPLIES 15

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion
Hi,

Have you spoken to customer services about your bill for official clarification.

Possible Useful link http://www.vodafone.co.uk/explore/costs/travelling-abroad/index.htm

Vodafone will not be able to answer Account Specific questions here on the forum.They have direct Customer Contact Telephone Lines and Online Live Chat to assist with these types of enquiries.

For Account Access and Account Enquiries please speak to Vodafone Customer Service on 191 from your mobile phone - Or use a Landline to ring them. Contract Customers : tel:03333040191 and Pay As You Go Customers : tel:03333048069

Live Chat is another avenue which is found in the 'Contact Us' Link at the foot of the forum page. Please use a Pc or Mac to use this service. You may need to leave the Live Chat page open a short time for Live Chat to initialise.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

drey_p
16: Advanced member

Hi there

Were you using your iPad in the UK or abroad?  It is a bit unclear from your message.

PWIAC

rarneil
Using in the UK

drey_p

@rarneil wrote:
Using in the UK

If you are using the device in the UK, having data roaming on or off will make no difference.  That function allows you to turn on data use when you are abroad ie roaming. 

Now, did you keep an eye on your usage with the My Vodafone App or the online account - both of these will help you to track your usage.

I'd recommend that you keep your mobile data turned off until you need it - that will prevent your device from chewing through data in the background whilst you aren't aware of it. 

PWIAC

rarneil
Hi not contacted Vodafone yet only read the bill and got a good shock

BandOfBrothers
Ah ok.

From your opening post the word you used "roaming" indicates you've been abroad using your device and Vodafone SIM card. My apologies.

You can keep an eye on usage through the myvodafone App or online.

If your getting close to any bundled Data Allowance then it's advised to turn off Mobile Data. This will stop any device connecting to the Networks Data Connection.

This is typically found in Settings-Mobile/Cellular which will keep you on any available Wifi. WiFi is free to use.

Usage of any allowances within your Tariff is at the Account holders discretion and is the Account holders responsibility to monitor.

I can well believe seeing a higher bill is shocking. 😏

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

rarneil
Thanks for your reply it's crazy that there is a system on the account that stops roaming etc but only if abroad. It was a Vodafone shop who setup the roaming and I was told that as long as it was on I would not get a large bill. I did ask is this for UK use or abroad I was told for BOTH. That's why I did not check the usage as it was only over a 4 day spell when I was hospitalised.
Rodney

drey_p

@rarneil wrote:
Thanks for your reply it's crazy that there is a system on the account that stops roaming etc but only if abroad

But that is what roaming is .... using a network abroad.  This is why the enabling or disabling of roaming only has an affect whilst out of the country.

If you used the data in the UK, it won't have any affect 

I guess what the person was trying to explain is that you don't have to turn it on / off when you are in the UK - you can just disable roaming data and that is that.  Next time you are out of the UK you are unlikely to run up a data roaming bill. 

PWIAC

froggerty

Rodney, there is a fair bit of misinformation being fed to you here, data roaming is when you have a mobile internet connection running being supplied by your service provider, in this case Vodafone, this connection will be running when the 'mobile data' switch in 'settings' is turned on and whatever is using this data will be adding to your bill, Apps that run in the background or constantly updating will use data. If you go to your settings and into data usage, you can then turn off mobile data and only turn it back on when you need to or use your home WiFi or any available free connections when out and about. Data roaming, when turned on, will be running wherever you are, in the UK or anywhere else in the World and you will be charged for it. If you use more data than your allowance in your monthly plan or any at all that you use if on PAYG, you will be charged £2 per day.