Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Mobile Broadband - Ham Radio (Echolink)

jjthompson
2: Seeker
I am a Licensed Radio Ham
I am having difficulty connecting a program Echolink http://www.echolink.org/ (Amateur Radio Over the internet) using my laptop and Vodafone E172 dongle.

This program will connect if I have a WiFi link but not using the dongle.

I believe that the modem is blocking UDP contact on ports 5198 and 5199.

The program requires these ports to be open to receive input.

Below is the error message I am receiving.

Testing TCP Connectivity …Succeeded

Testing UDP Connectivity

UDP 5198 Test # 1 Receive Fail (10060)

UDP 5199 Test # 1 Receive Fail (10060)

UDP 5198 Test # 2 Receive Fail (10060)

UDP 5199 Test # 2 Receive Fail (10060)

Programs help below:

Windows Vista Service Pack 2

Local IP address: 10.139.31.34

Firewall Test Results: FAIL

The test successfully connected to the EchoLink server on TCP port 5200. This means that your system's TCP configuration is correct for use with EchoLink.

The tester was unable to communicate over UDP. If you have Internet security software installed, be sure it is configured to allow EchoLink to access the Internet. If you have a router or firewall, be sure it is not blocking UDP ports.

There appears to be a router between this computer and the Internet. A router normally requires special configuration for use with EchoLink.

This version of Windows includes Windows Firewall. If Windows Firewall is enabled (which is the default), an exception must be added to un-block EchoLink and allow it to access the Internet. (If you chose the Unblock option when you first started EchoLink, this exception has probably already been added.)

For more information, click the Help button above, or see the Firewall Solutions page on the EchoLink Web site.

How can this be issue corrected. It is obviously not the firewall in the computer as it connects OK on WiFi.

two days ago I sent this query to Vodafone and got a message back to contact technical support on 191

I did this today and spoke to a lady who then internally contact second line support and came back with a message saying that they could not do anything.

Has anyone on here been able to sort out such a technical problem? Vodafone is often my only means of communicating while travelling in my Motorhome.

John

4 REPLIES 4

Retired-Reidar
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hello john Thompsoon and thanks for your post.

This is one of those rare occasions where testing or mimicking your setup may prove to be a difficulty, due to the third party nature of Echolink. I've had a look at the application and also the iPhone version which efferctively turns your iPhone into a broadcasting mobile mic, clever.

The only thing I can think of regarding the ports issue would be to try using a DUN connection as opposed to the Vodafone Mobile Connect software, we could see if this makes a difference at all.

(DUN): Dial up networking

1. Go to Control Panel, Phone and Modem Options, select Modems Tab
2. Highlight the VMC device installed and select properties.
3. Click on the Advanced tab and enter AT+CGDCONT=1,”IP”,”internet” in the Extra Initialisation Command field.
4. Click Apply and OK to save changes

DUN Settings for Windows:

1. Go to Start Menu / Control Panel / Network Connections / Create a new Connection
2. Choose "Connect to the Internet"
3. Select "Set up my Connection Manually"
4. Select "Connect Using Dial-up Modem"
5. Ensure the VMC Device is selected/ticked (and nothing else).
6. ISP Name = "Connection Name", (call it anything you like).
7. Enter the Phone number: *99***1#
8. Username & Password = web & web
9. Click "Finish" to complete.

Reidar :ph34r:

eForum Team

jjthompson

Thank you for your speedy reply.

My Laptop is a HP Pavilion Entertainment PV dv9600. Running Windows Vista Ultimate. When I go to Control Panel - Phone and Modem Options - I do not get anything other than a panel requesting Location Information.

John

jjthompson
Well I got around that problem by putting in a landline code, even though I am only using Vodafone now.

Set things up as you said and it is over-riding the Vodafone Connect and hogs the dongle. I am still unable to connect to Echolink and in that state I am unable to get out and connect to Vodafone 3G or GPRS without closing down the Vodafone connect and removing the dongle.

Have I done something wrong?

John

bacupian
4: Newbie

Well I got around that problem by putting in a landline code, even though I am only using Vodafone now.

Set things up as you said and it is over-riding the Vodafone Connect and hogs the dongle. I am still unable to connect to Echolink and in that state I am unable to get out and connect to Vodafone 3G or GPRS without closing down the Vodafone connect and removing the dongle.

Have I done something wrong?

John

Vodafone don't assign fixed ip addresses and use nat. You only get incoming when it's part of an established connection
so I doubt that what you're trying is available.

Only thing I can suggest is to setup a tunnel to a system with a fixed ip.

Fixed ip mobile is not yet cheap enough for me.

David