Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Security patch update

SKYMAN513
13: Advanced Member

I received a security update today in a notification on my s7 edge  for the fist time and i am not familiar with how they work on this device.

However it asked me to connect to WiFi,

And as I don't have Wi-Fi,

IT said the data would be under 500kb so I pressed it hoping it would use mobile data however it just disappeared,and because the file was so small I didn't see any download notification 

As this is a 2 month old device it was my first security update since nougat on 12 March which came with 1st Feb security patch but I am still on the 1st Feb security 

So my question is are there two different security patches updates

(or whatever tech name they have) or should my phone have moved on from 1 Feb and it didn't update, as I don't have WiFi 

Just to note I only had the one notification very early this morning 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hi @SKYMAN513

I had a similar notification too not to long ago. 

However as I prefer not to update anything via a notification so I dismissed it and navigated to the software update section in my settings and nothing was there. 

It's something I've always preferred to do to keep within the security remit of the phone.

I also don't navigate to anywhere via links in emails for example. 

I'm on the same security patch as you. 

I noticed the new s8 phones have the March security patch on them in my local Samsung Experience Store so hopefully it's not too far away and they are on 7.0 but are on a special Samsung Experience Store model version. 

I wonder if we'll see the new patch when 7.1 hits. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

View solution in original position

6 REPLIES 6

BandOfBrothers

Hi @SKYMAN513

I had a similar notification too not to long ago. 

However as I prefer not to update anything via a notification so I dismissed it and navigated to the software update section in my settings and nothing was there. 

It's something I've always preferred to do to keep within the security remit of the phone.

I also don't navigate to anywhere via links in emails for example. 

I'm on the same security patch as you. 

I noticed the new s8 phones have the March security patch on them in my local Samsung Experience Store so hopefully it's not too far away and they are on 7.0 but are on a special Samsung Experience Store model version. 

I wonder if we'll see the new patch when 7.1 hits. 

Current Phone  >

Thanks as always 

BANDOFBROTHERS I'll try manually from now on and that's what I did on my s5 but I need to search my phone properly.it only today were I actually paid for a theme and turns out well worth it I can see my menu's clearly now (ie what's switched on and what's not)

Yes the next few weeks will be interesting.

Regarding the s8 people in Korea are already complaining bout there s8 screen having some form of red hue to the screen.

How accurate that info is I am not sure, but I did also read Samsung are aware of it and are on top of it 

I wasn't going to say any thing about it but if it is a problem im sure it will be sorted it's the last thing Samsung want I would've thought

BandOfBrothers

Hey @SKYMAN513

Yeah I've been reading the blogs etc reporting this on phones in Korea. 

Samsung apparently say this can be adjusted within the phones settings. 

That said I've been watching the new YouTube User reviews and none have reported those issues. 

I switch between a Dark Theme and the default one and a paid for icon set. 

I always stay with the same Homescreen Wallpaper no matter which phone I'm using.  :Winking_smiley:

Current Phone  >

I'll have to give in and have a proper look, 

I was at the tail end of the s7 edge and don't want to start thinking I should of waited 

But  I got an excellent deal with Vodafone and it came with a gear fit 2 Which I wasn't expecting.so all good 

The 7 edge in my opinion is still a great phone and it's still suprising me to this day 

I paid for the black hole theme today and it has transformed my phone it is excellent for my taste 

I just wanted to see if paying for one justifys the price and for me it will be a while before I change this one.

It's dark with colour if that makes sense 

daylward
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hi, are you sure this wasn't a Secirity Policy Update as opposed to security patch? I had mine come through on my S7 today and did exactly the same thing and because the phone was set to 'update via wi-fi only' lost the notification.

For reference purposes anyone that did the same and wishes to do it manually can go:

(Nougat) Settings>Lock Screen and Security>Other Security Settings>Security Policy Updates>Update Now

Regards

Darren

SKYMAN513
13: Advanced Member

To be honest I'm not 100% sure,but it was definitely different than normal,and what you described above seems like it was the way because it was different than the usual way it updates,if that makes sense 

Also normally with a security patch update my date changes yet I am still on feb 1 from the nougat update 

Thanks for the info