Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Sure Signal Broadband Speed

lisalouisehale
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi

Since I connected my VSS my broadband speed has deteriorated significantly - I have seen a few related threads about this, please could you tell me what the solution is?

Many Thanks

Lisa

11 REPLIES 11

Retired-Andy
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi Lisa,

A Sure Signal needs a minimum of 1Mbps download and 0.36Mbps upload to keep a stable connection to our servers.

Depending on your broadband speed, you may find it takes longer for a page to load.

I’d suggest you speak with your internet provider to see about increasing your speed.

Thanks,

Andrew

I have installed a SS3 unit 2 days ago, and it is sitting there showing; flashing red power light, no Internet light, steady amber signal light, and steady amber access light (Quick setup guide says "Your Sure Signal can't access the Vodafone System - etc."). I have carried out the online registration as requested.

I phoned Vodafone support yesterday, and was told to leave the unit on 24 hours (despite the guide saying 30 to 60 minutes), and today, I've phoned again because there was no change in its status. I was talked through an ADSL speed-test using speedtest.net - where the result showed 7 Mbps download speeds, and 750 Kbps upload. This is way in excess of the 1 Mbps down and 300 Kbps upstream referred to in Vodafone's own Sure Signal FAQ document. Despite this, I was told [emphatically!], that my SS3 would never work, as it needed upload speeds in excess of 1.5 Mbps (not 300 Kbps!!!). Since the maximum upload on any ADSL or ADSL Max. service is 800 Kbps, and ADSL2+ services are 1.2 Mbps upload - does this mean that the only service that will support a SS3 is something like cable broadband or Superfast 'Infinity' [FTTC]???

If this is the case, then why the misleading info in the FAQ, and why is this not stated as a major 'CAUTION' in the product material?

If this is not actually the case - then going back to my original question ... Why won't my SS3 connect to the Vodafone servers?

Thanks

grolschuk
Community Champion (Retired)

Who is your ISP and what Router is being used?

For non-connection issues like you describe, it tends to be something in the router setup stopping things.

ISP is Timico

Router is Draytek V2820

I had run a SS version 1 (FEMTO) for several years, and have installed the SSv3 due to what appeared to be a fault with the SSv1 ... I've not made and configuration chages in my router in the last months that would co-incide with the SSv1 stopping. I can open and forward ports to my hearts content - so if you can suggest anything in that regard, I'm happy to try it!

Thanks

Hi FoxhallGH,

Can you confirm what the serial number is and what light sequence you are currently seeing?

James

Serial:  40133487443

Power red LED is flashing approx 2Hz

- Internet - Off completely
- In service - solid Orange
- In Use - solid Orange

grolschuk

Not quite sure if the menus will be the same, but in the VPN and Remote Access (maybe elsewhere if that isn't a menu option)

Remote Access Control

Untick the IPSec service.

Good thought re VPN ... But - Had already tried that - and in fact, when I looked, I see that IPSec, PPTP & L2TP VPN are all still disabled i.e. the Draytek would allow pass-thru on those protocols / ports in its current config'.

Hi FoxahllGH,

The light sequence hasn’t changed from your initial post so the Sure Signal is still unable to authenticate itself on our servers.

Make sure the following ports are open on your router:-

Port Number

8          TCP      UDP    

50         TCP      UDP    

53         TCP      UDP      

67                     UDP                                                    

68                     UDP    

123                   UDP    

500                   UDP    

1723     TCP      UDP    

4500                 UDP    

33434 - 33445    UDP    

If this doesn’t work then the next thing would be to try, if possible, a different router.

Let me know how you go on.

Cheers,

Andrew