Vybe
2: Seeker
Hi
I bought a new phone (iphone) from a 3rd part
They iphone was on vodafone but it was still new and sealed
I want to unlock it
How do i go about it?
I put in a vodafone sim in the phone and filled and i got a unsuccessful email as below.
I did hear something ablut using the sim for 30 days? Is that meaning using just the sim or using the sim in the phone?
Also does that mean topping it up and makinf calls everyday or something can anybody please help
Thank you for getting in touch about unlocking your phone. We checked the details you gave us, but could not find a match for the IMEI number (your phone's serial number) on your account.

We can only unlock a phone that we know belongs to you. This means you need to have used a Vodafone SIM in it. You need to give us details of this SIM when you fill in our NUC form.

What you need to do next

Double check the details you gave us when you filled in the form - the IMEI number you gave us was **************.

Check this against your phone's IMEI by tapping in *#06# - you will then see it displayed on the screen. If the numbers don't match, you need to fill in our online form again.
21 REPLIES 21

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hi

If your putting in a Vodafone UK Payg sim card then you'll need to use that sim card in the phone for a minimum period of 30 days, making calls and sending texts and using data before filling out the unlock form. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Sorry to add. 

Vodafone will send you an email confirming the unlock have been requested. 

The iPhone is not typically unlocked at this stage. 

It can take Apple another 20-30 days approximately complete the actual unlock. 

Pop in an active non Vodafone sim card in this timeframe periodically to complete the unlocking. From the iPhone 5 onwards it's not always necessary to hook up to iTunes to complete the unlocking. An iPhone is not unlocked by a code you key in. 

Current Phone  >

Vybe
Is this even if the phone was a previous contract
I just have to used payg for 30 days?

BandOfBrothers

@Vybe wrote:
Is this even if the phone was a previous contract
I just have to used payg for 30 days?

Because the phone was sealed it will not have been used on the Vodafone U.K. Network so it's imei number won't be latched to any account. 

Using it for those 30 days making calls , not to 191, sending texts, using data , topping up will latch it to the new Vodafone Payg Account. 

Alternatively on contract a person needs to have paid 3 bills on time so that's an even longer timeframe. 

Current Phone  >

63johnw
Hi, this is all on the proviso that the phone hasn't been reported as lost or stolen and subsequently blocked.

Vybe
How will voda know the sim has been used in the specific phone for 30 days
Do i need to make an account on voda website and register the imei to it?

BandOfBrothers

By using the phone in itself will latch the imei number onto Vodafones systems and the payg number. 

Current Phone  >

63johnw
Hi. No just using the phone on the network does it.

Vybe
I recently emailed vodafone asking how far along the unlock process has been unlocked they said its been done
Its and iphone and it wasnt done
I put in a diff sim card and connected to itunes and got the message basically saying its not unlocked
So i replied to the email and told them so
Today i get the same email as below but it is still not unlocked?
Any contact number that i can talk to about nuc issues as customer service dont discuss it

Thanks for getting in touch about unlocking your iPhone. You’re almost done – there are just a few things you need to do to complete the process.

Simply insert a non-Vodafone SIM into your device then connect it to iTunes or perform a software restore. Once you’re done, you’ll be able to use your iPhone on another network.

No joy?
If your new SIM doesn’t work, don’t worry – just click here for help and we’ll walk you through everything you need to get things sorted.

Thank-you

Tanvi Shah
The Vodafone Unlocking team