cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Upgrading From Payg To Contract - Expect Probelms?

philblunt
Not applicable
Hi people.

My intention is to get the PAYG Mobile Broadband Dongle and run that for a month or two prior to moving to contract. This is in order to test the coverage/signal, which I consider quite a good idea.

My question is: Do you forsee any issue with this? Are the dongles interchangeable? If so, must I uninstall any software for the PAYG and then do a fresh installation of the contract dongle?

Has anyone done this? Are there any pitfalls? Will there be conflicts?

This is windows XP pro by the way.
Postal code MK5 7EF.

Thanks in advance.
3 REPLIES 3

Retired-George
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hi PhilBlunt,

Firstly, a very warm welcome to the eForum Family, it's always great to see new faces on here :).

Secondly, that's an excellent idea to test out the service using PAYG broadband first, you should be fine in doing this. You'll also be able to purchase the device online from our Vodafone Mobile Broadband page there are a few pointers I'd like to give though.

You're able to use the same software for both the Contract and the PAYG devices, in order to so it's simply a case of changing the account type in the software (Tools > Account type).

I've had a check on your coverage using our Vodafone Coverage Checker online and our own internal system and can see that you are just on the border of an area of good 3G coverage, I'd anticipate this should be good enough, it's certainly a good idea to check with a PAYG modem before moving onto contract though.

When you've got your device, don't forget that you can use our great My Account service to top up, this can also be used for managing any features of your contract including your address and any extras.

George
eForum Team

aliby121
4: Newbie
as far as i am aware it has to be two sepearte dongles as you cant move from contract to payg broadband. Thats what i know

rapid1
4: Newbie
as far as i am aware it has to be two sepearte dongles as you cant move from contract to payg broadband. Thats what i know

Yeah, that's right. £39 to buy the payg dongle, but then nothing to get the contract dongle as long as you go onto a high enough tarriff that is. Otherwise, it could be as much as £59 again for the device. So this means you couldn't keep the payg modem number and move it over to a contract modem sim
And never forget...what was i talking about?

Current handset : Nokia e71 running F/W 300.21.012