Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Very Frustrating Problem!

starmonkey
Not applicable
Hi...

Ever since 18/06/09 i have had this problem.

I switched on my laptop, the Vodafone Mobile Connect window opens and says Mobile Device Detected etc... i click 'connect' just like i normally would do then it connects perfectly fine with a good signal strength.

Then I go to Internet Explorer and it says 'Internet Explorer cannot display the page' - despite on the Vodafone Mobile Connect window it saying 'Connected' and with good signal strength. This is the same with any site. I also cannot log onto MSN Messenger.

If I go to Control Panel > Network and Sharing Center - it shows Vodafone Mobile Connect but the access says 'Limited Connectivity'.

My laptop has been away in repairs for 2 weeks and i only got it back monday and it worked fine for 2 days now I can't get online. As you can imagine this is very frustrating as I pay monthly and before I know it I would have paid another month without even getting any usage out of it!!!

If anybody can help I would GREATLY appreciate it!

I am using Windows Vista.

Thanks alot!
Laura
11 REPLIES 11

runamonk
4: Newbie
I have this problem today as well.

The funny thing is, I am connected to vodafone right now and I am watching the modem and it keeps switching between light blue and dark blue, like its going from 3G to 3G+ and back which is interesting but if I turn off my normal wireless (like I normally have it) I will not be able to get to the internet at all. This was working perfectly last night and today it's connecting up successfully but not actually giving me access to the internet.

CV227JL

heady
The funny thing is, I am connected to vodafone right now and I am watching the modem and it keeps switching between light blue and dark blue, like its going from 3G to 3G+ and back ...

If the modem is showing 3G when idle and 3G+ when transmitting - this to my understanding is normal behaviour. The modem camps on 3G and only when there is data to send/recieve requests 3G+ access from the network. The network then allows/rejects 3G+ access based on current network resources and charasteristics.

I could be wrong - as its been a few years since I've dealt with this formally.

As an example my E220 modem does this too - I just went and checked.

So I expect that this behaviour is not a symptom of your problem.

starmonkey
Not applicable
Yes, i have noticed that with the light on the dongle also!

Retired-Reidar
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hi Starmonley and Ron

Welcome again. Are you both still experiencing this problem, or has there been any change/improvement? :)

The first thing to check here would be connectivity with the internet (despite no browser images coming through), this usually involves a 'ping' as follows:

1. Start
2. Programmes
3. Command prompt
4. Type the following:
ping www.vodafone.co.uk

You'll get s series of coded lines, feel free to post these back on the forum and I can take a look.

In addition to this please make sure Offline mode is not ticked in Internet Explorer:

Files > Offline mode

Thanks

Reidar :ph34r:

eForum Team

starmonkey
Not applicable
I tried it and it came up with "Ping request could not find host www.vodafone.co.uk. Please check the name and try again."

runamonk
Hello,

This has nothing to do with Internet Explorer, in fact I don't use IE at all.

I also did my testing with Tracert and it was failing immediately because of dns resolution. This issue has corrected itself, I imagine something went down temporarily and came back up. When checking ipconfig I was not getting all proper configurations from vodafone, ie not a proper dns, gateway and ip address. So probably just a hiccup. Things seem to be working as usual today.

Thanks,

-R

Hi Starmonley and Ron

Welcome again. Are you both still experiencing this problem, or has there been any change/improvement? :)

The first thing to check here would be connectivity with the internet (despite no browser images coming through), this usually involves a 'ping' as follows:

1. Start
2. Programmes
3. Command prompt
4. Type the following:
ping www.vodafone.co.uk

You'll get s series of coded lines, feel free to post these back on the forum and I can take a look.

In addition to this please make sure Offline mode is not ticked in Internet Explorer:

Files > Offline mode

Thanks

Reidar :ph34r:

eForum Team

Retired-MatC
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hi everyone,

Thank you both for getting back to us!

StarMonkey - from the information Ron has given to us it does seem like there's been a temporary problem at our end. As this appears to have been corrected, would you be able to disconnect, reconnect, try again and let us know? We're looking into it further at our end in the meantime to see exactly what the problem was, but it would be very helpful if you could try the above in the meantime :)

Ron Hines - Thanks for letting us know! We're looking to see exactly what went on at this end but we appreciate you informing us that it's back up and running.

Let me know if there's anything else we can be of help with ;)

MatC
eForum Team

starmonkey
Not applicable
I have just tried it and unfortunately I am still experiencing the same problem.

Retired-David_V
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hi StarMonkey,

I would suggest doing the following as I have had some success with mine when using this.

Click the Start Orb
Now click All Programs
Then Accessories
Then Command Prompt
Right-click on it and ‘Run as Administrator’
Type the following and hit Enter:
ipconfig /flushdns

After a few moments you should be able to see a confirmation window:

Windows IP Configuration. Successfully flushed the DNS Resolver Cache.

Let us know if this works

Thanks B-)

David
eForum Team