cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Vodafone Sure Signal 3 not working with BT Business Hub 5 (BT Infinity)

herbie_skeete
4: Newbie

Power - flashing, Internet - off, In Service - orange, In Use - orange.

I bought the Sure Signal 3 today to replace one I had for years that worked with BT ADSL but which wouldn't work with BT Infinity.

I have seen conflicting statements on this forum as to whether Sure Signal of whatever variety works with BT Infinity.

If BT/Vodafone cannot get their act together, a complaint to OFCOM is on the cards.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

This post says the latest firmware rollout might have broken a couple of things:

https://community.bt.com/t5/Other-Broadband-Queries/Home-Hub-5-VPN-issues-after-firmware-upgrade/td-...

and this one says there is an 'Allow all Applications' option..? (inbound, bottom of the list)

http://btbusiness.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/10868/~/using-the-bt-business-hub-with-vpn

Sorry I can't be more help, but if you want a quick fix, get your hands on something like a Billion 8800NL (I only suggest this one as it is the one I ended up going for, I think the Asus N66U will work too, and probably thousands of others...), put in your username and password, if everything starts working you can keep it, otherwise send it back under your cooling off period - distance selling regulations can be handy :Smiling:

There is also the Billion 8800 AXL, which is better spec'd if you need the extra performance.

Or you could wait for BT to figure out how not to break things, personally I like the fact they can't meddle with my router...

View solution in original position

33 REPLIES 33

Retired-Rodney
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi @herbie_skeete 

Please take a look at our Sure Signal Troubleshooting thread. If this doesn’t resolve your query, please post your reply either below, or in the relevant thread, together with the details requested, including the following information.

Your speed test results from here.

Your ping test results from here.

Your external IP address from here.

The results of a traceroute.

Your Sure Signal serial number:

VSS Traceroute command

On a PC:

Click on Start and select Run

Type CMD into the Run box and press enter/click ok

A black box will appear.

In this box type tracert 212.183.133.177 press Enter

Paste the output of this command into your reply.

This will help us get the quickest possible resolution for you.

Thanks

Rodney

Speed test results 

Download speed: 42.28Mpbps:

Upload speed:13.92 Mpbs

Ping: 21Ms

Ping test results

Packet loss: Unable to test

Ping: 24Ms

Jitter: 1ms

Line Quality: B*

Server:Coventry

ISP:BT

Distance:100 mi

External IP address

Results of a traceroute

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\herbie skeete>tracert 212.183.133.177

Tracing route to cluster4.vap.vodafone.co.uk [212.183.133.177]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 1 ms <1 ms <1 ms BTBusinessHub.home [192.168.1.254]
2 16 ms 16 ms 16 ms host81-139-224-1.in-addr.btopenworld.com [81.139
.224.1]
3 16 ms 16 ms 16 ms 213.120.182.141
4 17 ms 17 ms 17 ms 213.120.161.82
5 17 ms 16 ms 17 ms 31.55.164.41
6 17 ms 17 ms 17 ms 31.55.164.107
7 20 ms 20 ms 21 ms 109.159.248.73
8 29 ms 23 ms 25 ms 109.159.252.210
9 22 ms 21 ms 21 ms acc1-10GigE-0-5-0-6.l-far.21cn-ipp.bt.net [109.1
59.254.108]
10 22 ms 23 ms 27 ms lndgw2.arcor-ip.net [195.66.224.124]
11 24 ms 26 ms 24 ms 85.205.0.86
12 * * * Request timed out.
13 * * * Request timed out.
14 * * * Request timed out.
15 * * * Request timed out.
16 * * * Request timed out.
17 * * * Request timed out.
18 * * * Request timed out.
19 * * * Request timed out.
20 * * * Request timed out.
21 * * * Request timed out.
22 * * * Request timed out.
23 * * * Request timed out.
24 * * * Request timed out.
25 * * * Request timed out.
26 * * * Request timed out.
27 * * * Request timed out.
28 * * * Request timed out.
29 * * * Request timed out.
30 * * * Request timed out.

Trace complete.

Sure Signal serial number:

I spoke to the Vodafove Tech Support desk twice. Did all they said re port forwarding and it still aint working. 

I'm guessing you have a Huawei Echolife DF612 white modem?

I did too - unfortunately this is the root of your problems...

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2013/11/bt-openreach-fttc-superfast-broadband-modems-break-vpn-...

https://aastatus.net/1854

The SureSignal sets up a VPN with Vodafone, and the firmware on the Huawei pretty much goes awry.

It is also possible that the Windows IPv6 tunnel is grabbing some of the ports:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teredo_tunneling

I bought a Billion 8800NL and my SureSignal started working pretty much straight away (got an issue receiving calls, but that's another ticket) - also trying to convince my ISP to pay for it... that's an ongoing fight too :Smiling:

You could try asking BT to check your firmware version..?

It is the Alcatel-Lucent 9361 Home Cell p3.0

looking at the specifications of that device, I think we have a misunderstanding; the device the phone wire plugs in to would be the one to troubleshoot for the problems I linked to in my post.

Can you look at that one, and does it look like the one attached to this post?

Nope. BT Business Hub 5

This post says the latest firmware rollout might have broken a couple of things:

https://community.bt.com/t5/Other-Broadband-Queries/Home-Hub-5-VPN-issues-after-firmware-upgrade/td-...

and this one says there is an 'Allow all Applications' option..? (inbound, bottom of the list)

http://btbusiness.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/10868/~/using-the-bt-business-hub-with-vpn

Sorry I can't be more help, but if you want a quick fix, get your hands on something like a Billion 8800NL (I only suggest this one as it is the one I ended up going for, I think the Asus N66U will work too, and probably thousands of others...), put in your username and password, if everything starts working you can keep it, otherwise send it back under your cooling off period - distance selling regulations can be handy :Smiling:

There is also the Billion 8800 AXL, which is better spec'd if you need the extra performance.

Or you could wait for BT to figure out how not to break things, personally I like the fact they can't meddle with my router...

Many thanks.

As advised by the Vodafone help desk. I swopped out the brand new Sure Signal 3 for another brand new Sure Signal 3.

Same results. Still not working.

The Vodafone sales guy said - as did the earlier guy - "Yes SS3 works with BT Infinity".

So far, not working here.

So far neither the online or phone help desk seem to know what they are talking about (and why am I not surprised at this".

Clutching at straws on each and every occasion.