Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

K3805-Z - no sim card error

davidlang
Not applicable
Hi

Just received a K3805Z mobile broadband modem - software installed ok on my Windows XP PC when I plugged the modem in but when I insert the sim card and try to connect I get a "No SIM found" error.

The problem is that its not clear in the Quick Start Guide which way round the sim card is put into the modem. This may sound very basic but the instruction book contains a series of faint drawings showing what I suppose could be the sim card being inserted but there is absolutely no clue as to which way round it goes - can't decide if the drawing is an early pencil work by Picasso or something the tech author got his 9 year old son to draw.

There's a link on the website from a K3805Z self-service help page to a video showing how to install the card (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFpQBzkyxH4) but its clearly a different modem model - the woman magically produces a slider which in best Blue Peter fashion she removed earlier but as far as I can see (and not wanting to force it) the slider on the K3805 doesn't come out.

I've tried various ways and get the same error but don't want to risk forcing something in the wrong way round.

It sounds really basic but help!
(I've got a nasty feeling that I'll be back with a sim card problem but first I want to make sure I have got it in right)
11 REPLIES 11

Retired-Jon_V
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hi DPL,

I'm afraid we're really struggling to get our hands on one of these devices at the moment, so I can't fully answer your question just yet.

I'll be back with an answer as soon as we're able :)

Jon

eForum Team

slime
4: Newbie
Having the same issue - no sim card but I think it can only go in one way! I know the sim card is good - well it works on my other (older) vodafone 3G dongle (K3565). Help please - any ideas?

Retired-Trev
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hi Slime

The error literally means the presence of a SIM cannot to found in the unit. This could be through a faulty SIM, dirty SIM, incorrectly inserted SIM or a faulty, or dirty SIM card reader on the device.

Have you tried the dongle on another PC?

This would determine if the issue is traveling with the device, and leaves us to determine if the SIM or the dongle is faulty.

Regards

Trev
eForum Team

slime
Hi Trev,

Thanks for the reply. please see my comments:

"The error literally means the presence of a SIM cannot to found in the unit. This could be through a faulty SIM, "
SIM that I tried works in my other dongle

"dirty SIM, "
Like I say, SIM works in other dongle

"incorrectly inserted SIM"
Maybe - not clear how to insert on the K3805-Z but I really do think it can only go in one way

"or a faulty, or dirty SIM card reader on the device."
Yep - maybe

"Have you tried the dongle on another PC?"
Yes - two PC's (but both had a previous dongle working fine. No SIM card error when I try and use the new K3805-Z)

Trev: can I ask - will any VF SIM work in this K3805-Z? I bought it brand new, sealed, but it came without a SIM card (normal aparently). So, can my unexpiring SIM (£15/1GB top-up) that I use in my older 3G stick work? Is that the problem? Can I try a friends SIM (he has a HTC Desire on VF)? I would try my VF iPhone SIM but as it is a microsim, I can't!

Thanks,
Slime.

jarviser
15: Advanced member
15: Advanced member
Are the SIMs physically identical? Some older SIMs have a smaller patch of gold pads with less of them.

As far as has been stated on here before any VF SIM will work in any VF dongle and indeed in an unlocked dongle of any make provided they are physically identical. My new VF PAYG works in an old contract VF E220 and an old contract VF Dell 5510 as well as an unlocked Orange E160E.

You may need to alter the APN in the software to suit the service if the software is installed from the dongle but you haven't got that far!

Sukhi
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hi Slime

jarviser is correct (Thanks :)) any Vodafone SIM will work, however settings may need changing depending if it's contract or PAYG.

Have you managed to try a different SIM? Have you tried your dongle SIM in your phone?

Sukhi
eForum Team

slime
Thanks. Definetly putting the sim in the correct way (I checked at work with our 3G and mobile staff). Borrowed the SIM of a guy with the VF HTC Desire and still "NO SIM" on a new clean PC build. Can't try my VF iPhone microsim in the dongle as it's too small!!

Looks like the dongle is broken? It is brand new

Retired-Reidar
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hi Slime

It does indeed look like a faulty dongle.

I would advise going into one of our stores and looking to have the USB modem sent off. Before doing so could you may wish to also try the following:

1. Start

2. Control panel

3. Phone and Modem

4. Advanced

5. Remove any instance of Huwei

It is possible that there is more than one 'modem instance' assigned to the computer, this can sometimes cause numerous issues.

Thanks

Reidar :ph34r:

eForum Team

slime
Thanks Reidar. Will try it. Just tried the dongle SIM in and old Nokia and it says Vidafone UK but can't seem to get to Vodafone live as it says error: register for GPRS first but this is an old Nokia and settings may be wrong. Also can't make a call from it either but that makes sense as a dongle SIM wouldn't be provisioned for voice!

Will let you know how I get on but all the above seems to point to faulty dongle.