Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Non-expiring Credit - Well Not Exactly

dexdyne2
4: Newbie
I am pretty convinced that Vodafone is applying a 1p connection charge to the credit for each new connect on the £15 for 1GB non-expiring credit.

I guess that shouldn't be totally unexpected - - but it does mean that there must be a more detailed document somewhere about "how much gets charged" than I have so far found and read.

Can anyone help me find out EXACTLY what charges are made on these devices.... for instance is the charge different if you wander into an area with no 3G coverage and have to go onto 2G???

I'd just be happier if I had a proper price list to look at.

TVM

David
23 REPLIES 23

Siddie
I would be interested in the answer to this too, if somebody from Vodafone could give us a reply...

Siddie...

Retired-Wayne
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hi dexdyne2

Thanks for your post. I'm sorry to hear that you think that you may be getting charged more.

This definitely shouldn't be the case. Pay as you go Broadband is really simple. Topup £15 and get 1GB of data. It really is that simple

When you top up £15 the credit gets instantly used and the 1GB data bundle is added to your account. There is no incremental charge at all, no matter how small, because once you have topped up there is no credit for any charges to be taken from.

There is no different charging for using 3G or 2G as this is just a different speed of connection. The same charges apply.

Please let me know if you have any more questions and I'll be more than happy to help you further

Thanks

Wayne

eForum Team

dexdyne2
Hi Wayne,

I have SIM here that I topped-up on Friday to £15.17.

I've left it running since... and it now has credit of 11:88

In that time it has uploaded about 1.5MB - scarcely any download at all.

I think it's on a 2G not a 3G connection it's stuck in a bit of a cupboard in a bad signal area.

According to me £3.29p should buy me about 200 megabytes, not 1.5 - a 2G SIM on 50p/day would be a better bargain.

Clearly SOMETHING is not being charged at the basic rate - can we work out what?

Upload? 2G?

David

Hi dexdyne2

Thanks for your post. I'm sorry to hear that you think that you may be getting charged more.

This definitely shouldn't be the case. Pay as you go Broadband is really simple. Topup £15 and get 1GB of data. It really is that simple

When you top up £15 the credit gets instantly used and the 1GB data bundle is added to your account. There is no incremental charge at all, no matter how small, because once you have topped up there is no credit for any charges to be taken from.

There is no different charging for using 3G or 2G as this is just a different speed of connection. The same charges apply.

Please let me know if you have any more questions and I'll be more than happy to help you further

Thanks

Wayne

eForum Team

dexdyne2
It's been a day - any chance of a further response from vodafone ???

bacupian
It's been a day - any chance of a further response from vodafone ???

On my landline broadband I'm charged for remote sites sending to my ip address, in most cases this
is responses to my own outgoing requests, ie downloads, in other cases it is legitimate remote
accesses to my system, but in other cases the connections are not legitimate, possibly
misconfigurations, hacking attempts etc. My ISP has no way to know what are legitimate
connections or otherwise.

I wonder if some of this reported extra usage is due to the way Vodafone share IP address space
between customers on the fly so responses to a request by one customer are redirected to
another customer and their system would just drop those packets but still be charged.

I know this can't happen 😞

David

Neil_Brown
14: Advanced member
Upload?

Your 1GB bundle is for both upload and download - if you have uploaded a lot of information (e.g. via FTP, or simply copying to a remote file server), then, you would expect to have your bundle reduced for this.
Neil

bacupian
Your 1GB bundle is for both upload and download - if you have uploaded a lot of information (e.g. via FTP, or simply copying to a remote file server), then, you would expect to have your bundle reduced for this.

Yes but stated upload was 1.5MB which isn't pro rata to amount deducted.

I've only just seen a few of these discrepancies mentioned on the forum after some 9 months
so possibly something has gone wrong (or do content control, email, and www traffic all work
perfectly well).

I assume itemised billing is available on accounts pages for these plans similar to contract and
really that information wiould help clarify the situation.

David

dexdyne2
in the early days of mobile phones on GPRS, there was no block on costing someone money by pinging them madly. If you happened to have a VPN to vadafone/O2 that could even be a free exercise for you

I think that is now fixed by much tighter routing controls.

David

On my landline broadband I'm charged for remote sites sending to my ip address, in most cases this
is responses to my own outgoing requests, ie downloads, in other cases it is legitimate remote
accesses to my system, but in other cases the connections are not legitimate, possibly
misconfigurations, hacking attempts etc. My ISP has no way to know what are legitimate
connections or otherwise.

I wonder if some of this reported extra usage is due to the way Vodafone share IP address space
between customers on the fly so responses to a request by one customer are redirected to
another customer and their system would just drop those packets but still be charged.

I know this can't happen 😞

David

Neil_Brown
Yes but stated upload was 1.5MB which isn't pro rata to amount deducted.

Good spot - my mistake. (Although, since the OP questions "Upload?" at the end of his post, I wonder whether that might actually relate to download? (Although, since that would be listed in volume transferred anyway, perhaps I really am up the garden path here. Ignore me!)
Neil