Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

HTC One S - Stuck in Airplane Mode when Turning on

GemmaT
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I have a HTC One S and since the last software upgrade (Android 4.0.4, HTC Sense 4.1, Software Number 2.38.161.6) my phone constantly gets stuck in airplane mode whenever I turn it on. More specifically it is stuck 'turning off' airplane mode, i.e. this function is greyed out so I cannot try pressing the buttons to do it myself. I have to restart the phone for this to be fixed, which does work every time but is rather time consuming and annoying to do every day.

Am I the only one experiencing this issue? Are you aware of the bug? Do you have any solutions?

Thanks,

Gemma

33 REPLIES 33

Jenny
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi Richard,

A warm welcome to the forum! :Smiling:

Thank you for taking the time to share this workaround which I’m sure will help many of our HTC One S users!

Cheers,

Jenny

Just one question, Jenny. Why the hell is this STILL a problem?

All,

Just found this thread, which is both a relief (that it is not just my typical luck to get a dodgy update) - and a massive frustration that there is not yet a patch to fix it.

It does sound like all the networks are getting it in the neck for something that is not their fault but a shame that the stock response is to take the phone to a tech centre or replace it - massively timewasting and inconvenient as I use my for work.

The only other thing I have to add is a different work-around than turning off fastboot, that has worked for me: -

- Before turning off the phone I TURN ON airplane mode.

- Then when I turn on the phone again (even after overnigt) it is in airplane mode properly (i.e. buttons are not greyed out).

- Then TURN OFF airplane mode.

The signal and WiFi etc then come back as normal, which is much quicker than the restart I have to do if I forget about the problem and just turn the phone off!

Of course still a pain the neck but less than a reset, factory re-set or trip down the shops!

Nick

I had my One X stuck in Airplane mode for about 5 months, initially after I couldn't get it off and there was mostly guess work on most forums, like try this and try that etc, I tried all the supposed solutions but none worked so I bought another phone but every now and then I'd have another crack at the One X to try to figure out how to fix it. Today was the day, after a lot of trying this and that once again I ran a Super Wipe Script, put Renovate Final 4 Rom in the root directory of the phone, went into the recovery wiped everything and reset it to factory default, went into Advanced/Mounts and Storage unmounted everything ( cache, data, system, formatted cache, data and system then remounted everything again, manually flashed the Renovate final 4 kernel ( I'm unlocked S On) installed the Renovate final 4 Rom and to my surprise it booted into set-up and when finished I was on the net, unbelievable. I probably had a bit of over kill with what I did and don't know how much of it was necessary but I was desperate and had nothing to lose cos if I didn't fix it this time the phone was going to be a bin job.

So if u have one of these (bricks) all is not lost and it can be fixed