Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

R206 mifi

Salmonpss
2: Seeker
2: Seeker
Hi
I recently bought a Vodafone R206 mifi and although I have just used it to check my email and not download any info it is costing a fortune. I have tried disconnecting when not in use but it still munches up £5 a day. Is there something I am missing or is this normal?
11 REPLIES 11

headcheese
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

Hi,

When you say "I have tried disconnecting when not in use but it still munches up £5 a day", are you saying that even when you don't have anything connected to the R206 via wifi it's getting through £5 worth of data a day? Or that you're disconencting the R206 from the Vodafone network and it's still using £5 a day?

Are you sure that no one else is connecting to it? You can tell how many clients are connected to the R206 via WiFi from the small number next to the WiFi icon on the R06 display and the Admin interface of the R206 displays the Mac addresses of devices conencted to the R206 via WiFi. So say if you ahve WiFI turned off on your WiFi capable devices (computer and phone), and you have a number displayed next to the WiFi icon then there is still something conencted to the R206 that might be using data. You coudl find out the Mac address of the device that's connecting to the R206 by logging in to the R206 admin interface via a web browser and looking in the connected devices section on the right hand side.

If this is what's happening you can add the mac addresses of the devices that you want to be able to use the R206 to the Mac address whitelists (log in to the admin interface, then click "WiFi" at the top, then "mac settings" on the left hand side, then turn on mac filtering, click save and add the Mac addresses of the device you want to be able to use the R206 to the whitelist, then click save).

If this isn't what's happening and you're leaving your computer conencted to the R206, then it's posible that the computer is updating and therefore using up data allowance.

If you're disconnecting the R206 form the mobile network how are you doing this? By default the Mobile WiFi devices are set to connect automatically (In the admin interface click "Mobile Broadband" at the top, then click "connection" on the lef thand side, then set it to "manual" if you don't want it to connect automatically). If you do this then you will have to make the R206 connect each time you turn it on by logging in to the admin interface and clicking connect. Alternatively you can turn the R206 off to disconnect it from the mobile network. That would stop it using data!

Bear in mind that the R206 display turns off after a while even when it's connected to save battery, so it might look like it's of when in fact it's not.

Additionally you can tell if it's connected to the mobile network or not as the signal strength bars are kind of zig zaggy when it's disconencted from the mobile network and the bars are the same brightness/density as the rest of the text on the device display when it's powered on but disconnected from the mobile network.

If I've got the wrong end of the stick here and none of this has made any difference then we can probably offer further advice, but what we'd need to know is how you're disconencting the R206 from the mobile network. Bear in mind that there are 2 connections going on with these devices. One between the client and the R206 over WiFi and one between the R206 and the mobile network over 2G/3G. Disconnecting a client from WiFi doesn't disconnect the R206 from the mobile network, hence me asking how it is that you're disconnecting the R206 from the mobile network.

See what you think and feel free to post back letting us know how you're getting one.

Cheers

HC

Hi

I have just purcahsed a R206 mobile wifi gadget but it will not install the desktop icon, hence I have no application screens.  All I want to do is see my credit and top up.  The user instructions are hopeless.  

Hi harrisette,  

You can get the full user guide for the R206 from our support site here.

Have you installed the software from the device?

To do this, you’d need to connect it via a USB cable to your PC/laptop.

If you’ve already done this, the below troubleshooting may help (taken directly from the user guide):-

The application won’t install on Windows

If the software does not install, or the install progress bar keeps looping

From the Windows Start menu, select – Settings>Control Panel>System>Hardware>Device Manager

–         Expand ‘Universal Serial Bus Controllers’

–         Right-click ‘USB Mass Storage Device’ and select ‘Uninstall’

–         If your devices are not reloaded, select ‘Scan for Hardware changes’ from the ‘Action’ menu.

Let me know how you get on.

Cheers,

Andy

I am unable to register my R206, as it does not receive the security codes by text message. Nobody at Vodafone in the UK seems to know how to sort this out or get round this. All I want to do is register to access the credit on my account and purchase packs.

Hi garbage,

You'd need to place your SIM card in a phone in order to get the registration text.

You can still Topup or buy a Data pack on our website without having to login.

Thanks,

Matt B

Have tried that and it doesn't work. No text received. UK phone is not on Vodafone network. No other phone available..

When I bought this device, there was no indication that this registration nonesense was necessary, no paperwork regarding registration or was it explained. Trade Descriptions Act.breach I am beginning to think.

You must be able to register this device without having a phone. It's common sense! Has nobody at Vodafone realised this?

BTW. The website is insisting that I register. It will not let me access my credt or buy packs without registration.

Do you know different?

If so, please explain.

Hi garbage,

If you click on buy a data pack on the right hand side, you'll be able to purchase a pack by following the instructions.

Thanks,

Matt B

I have a credit of circa £50 on my account that I will need to use for a data pack, next time I'm in the UK. I don't want to buy any more until that balance is used up. That appears to be the problem...I can't access that credit without registration.