Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

3G Switch Off - No 4G Coverage

sebbelcher
4: Newbie

I cannot seem to get an answer from anyone on this, all the FAQs from all the networks and even Ofcom's guidance are completely ignoring what must be hundreds of thousands of users accross the UK who don't get a 4G or 5G signal in their area.

According to the Ofcom coverage map not a single one of the UK networks has working 4G coverage in our village.

What on earth will happen when 3G is switched off?  Simply no data at all when I'm outside the range of my home Wifi? 

6 REPLIES 6

Jason

Hi @sebbelcher. We completely understand and fully take on board your concerns. Keeping connected is such an important part of our day to day lives. If you have no 4G or 5G coverage in your area, when 3G is switched off, your phone will switch over to 2G for calls, texts and data. 

We’re continuing to make huge investments in increasing the reach and capacity of our 4G and 5G networks. We’ll be prioritising areas that currently have limited 4G and 5G coverage to ensure even more customers can make the most of these newer technologies. 

The 2G network provides core voice coverage and we're continuing to invest in this network, so we won't be retiring our nationwide 2G network anytime soon. Like all other UK networks, we've agreed to meet the government's ambition to turn off our 2G service by 2033.

Thanks for the response, but this isn't particulalry reassuring.  2G data speeds are simply not fast enough to support modern mobile phone apps, things like internet banking will time-out over a 2G connection, rather than just work slower - apps and web apps simply aren't designed to work over a 0.384 Mbps connection any more (assuming Edge even works - it seems to just stall whenever my iPhone drops to this 'E' connecton mode).

What concerns me is that there is no public annoucement from the networks that they actually WILL invest in expanding 4G coverage - if you look at all the FAQs and publicity about the 3G switch off it's all geared towards getting people to upgrade their contracts and upgrade their handsets (i.e. how Vodafone can get more money) without any mention of how Vodafone will spend their money and invest in improving 4G coverage.  It's all about more money into Vodafone and no discussion about money out.

It's all well and good giving vague statements about future investment, but is there any committment what-so-ever to making sure large numbers of customers are not plunged back into 2003 era data speeds?  Can we be given any sort of assurance this won't happen?

I completely agree with sebbelcher on this. I would like to see some stats, not just from Vodafone, but ALL the networks, on population percentage who currently ONLY have access to 2G or 3G, and the target date of when (at least) 4G will be switched on for these people. This should be made available BEFORE the 3G switch off to allow people to make informed choices about joining or renewing their contracts. Also, if an MVNO swaps out the network provider and you end up with no services then you should be allowed to terminate your contract. The problem with many of the MVNO's is their customer service is diabolical or non existent, so more regulation is needed.

Thanks for the message.  I feel the same and what’s shocking is that Ofcom’s website is similarly lacking in detail, and in fact just pushes consumers to ‘upgrade’ their equipment without any information for people who already have upgraded equipment but cannot access 4G service.

I have written to Ofcom on the topic and will update here when they reply. 

Hi was there an update on this?

I agree regarding the quality of 2g networks. I currently work online remotely from various locations. I'm not allowed for security reasons, to use hotel wifis so reply on hotspotting from my mobile. I already struggle in many places with inadequate signal strengths & often the signal is not 4g. Similarly, I live in a remote area with no 4g signal & barely any signal at all - what happens when no 3g? The reference to no 3g being tested indicated that it was carried out in a large town! Why do these companies assume everyone lives in a town with maximum signal coverage!!