Pay monthly products & services

Ask a question:
Rank 3: Occasional Poster

Re: Router / Apple Airplay

The service is pretty poor isn't it.   Consider they could fix it quickly for you.  

I am not sure about previous versions of the software but definately on my version now it breaks it down in Status down the bottom.

Then on the ABOUT bit it gives details of all the modules even in basic mode.   :-)    You'd think they could quickly tell you have an issue and send you to the nearest shop to pick up a replacement router right ?  Just incase you have a rubbish router.

If you live close to a shop I would be tempted to rip out my router and pop in anyway.   They might give you another one   :-)   The shop staff near me are quite keen to give better service that the phone/web folks so they keep their jobs.

2017-03-01 14_08_53-Status.png

2017-03-01 14_09_30-About.png

Message 21 of 53 (2,128 Views)

Indeed.  It seems that 1st line are quick to answer and eager to please, but then getting to anyone technical to cope with something a reset won't fix is far harder.

I don't reckon I need new hardware.  Simply a firmware update.  With any "normal" router you could do this yourself.  However Vodafone have taken away that functionality and I need people to do it for me.  People who it seems are very tough to talk to.  Great !

And all this because the firmware I have on a brand new router is a very old version.  If they want to ship routers with very old (important) firmware then they should have a process in place so that it updates itself once it comes online.

Message 22 of 53 (2,124 Views)

I also (very confusingly) keep getting emails from "Vodafone" people, who advise me to keep emailing support via the email thread they sent.

If they are from Vodafone then surely they could get in touch with support and get this escalated.  If not then what value are they adding ?

Message 23 of 53 (2,122 Views)

@Andrew1000 the new firmware has the option to check for update in "Expert" mode.   So once you get to that level of firmware it hopefully will not be an issue for you to check yourself later :

2017-03-01 15_07_56-Firmware Update.png

Message 24 of 53 (2,118 Views)

That's good.

And also even more annoying that I've been shipped something so far out of date, missing such basic functionality.

Using the version I have I can't split the 2.4Ghz & 5Ghz networks.  Have been told that only the 2.4 is currently in use & it looks like (from the basic setup I have) only b/g/n standards are available, potentially not ac.

Message 25 of 53 (2,112 Views)

Update.  Had a call from Vodafone support as I got in from work.  They forced an update of the router firmware straight away.

10 minutes later everything is back up and running, new version of the firmware installed AND everything seems to work perfectly.  Apple airplay working, WIFI ok.  All devices connecting.

I haven't tried splitting the WLAN yet (as everything works) but will definitely do this soon as I wish to change all the SSIDs / passwords.

Cheers everyone.  Happy customer again Smiley Very Happy

Message 26 of 53 (2,095 Views)

@Andrew1000 that is fantastic.   It is absolutely crazy it took them so long, and such a pity.   The speed I am getting I am really happy about and the router might be ok - I have too much setup on my other one now to b e bothered with it too much.   For the cost though the speeds are great.

They are letting themself down with customer service which is sad really.   Long may your network thrive.  Smiley Happy

Message 27 of 53 (2,080 Views)
Topics: 3
Solutions: 28

Hi @Andrew1000

That's great to hear and thank you for updating the thread. 

If you need anything else, please let us know. 

Thanks, 

Message 28 of 53 (1,968 Views)

Afternoon Paul.

Thanks for the interest, indeed it all only took a few moments to solve and since the update the whole Quality of router / service seems much better.  And everything seems to work too.

Quick testing also seemed to suggest that the signal is now much stronger downstairs (router is upstairs) where previously it was poor.

Apparently the router tried to update the very moment my service was enabled.  But it failed and then it never tries again.  As there's surely a number of reasons it could fail as the service comes up it's a bit odd it just gives up and doesn't try again.

Message 29 of 53 (1,943 Views)

Small update.  Exactly 2 days after the update the router rebooted itself again, but I haven't noticed it do so since then.  I will sign on to it over the weekend and monitor the uptime status.

In general though it has been MUCH better since the firmware update.

Message 30 of 53 (1,445 Views)
Topics: 0
Solutions: 1

@Andrew1000

That's great news.

Thanks for letting us know.

Message 31 of 53 (1,415 Views)

[ Edited ]

Seems it is still losing the internet connection though, constantly.  Looking at the PPP Session Uptime it's showing 9 hours and 41 minutes.  So although I was at work it did lose the connection earlier today.

Message 32 of 53 (1,392 Views)

Mine has had a few disconnects the past few weeks but nothing I am too worried about and very brief.  I check it by using the

Status and Support -> Event Log :   Select WAN and All Events and it shows my disconnect and reconnects.   Been down twice the past fortnight but one of them was me switching everything off I think.  The other time was for a minute last night - which I am happy with. 

Message 33 of 53 (1,376 Views)
Rank 2: First Poster

lots of posts on disconnects - the issue is simple, ive posted a solution - the fix, vodafone wont do...which is allow users to use their own router.

Message 34 of 53 (1,067 Views)

Good spot Paul.  I've been trying to ignore this, but last night it went down right in the middle of a gaming session.  Completely destroyed everything myself and friends were working on together.

I'm going to have to log this out with Vodafone as it's not only VERY annoying normally, but at the wrong time it can have very bad consequences.  It's also very embarrasing when friends are over and the Internet dies "oh don't worry I'm on Vodafone and this happens all the time, it will be back up soon".

Message 35 of 53 (750 Views)

Indeed.  I'd love to be able to use my own router that I used on BT without issue.  However I'm wondering if this is even a router issue or if it's caused by something at the back end that triggers a service restart on the router.

Message 36 of 53 (748 Views)

Yeah - I'd not be happy at all being bombed during a game.

Mine has been solid as a rock the past few weeks.  

Luckily I have everything turned off on the VF router which I think is why it is so stabole - especially uPNP.  ;-)

Turn off everything you really do not need and this might make a huge difference for you.   It has for me.

Message 37 of 53 (745 Views)

Update   --  Have called VF support, they've said an enginner will be calling me in 5 minutes (that was 10 minutes ago so hoping it's anytime now).

Nice idea regarding turning everything off, may look at this if the VF route fails, but this should be fixable.  I can't believe that all VF routers drop their connections to the internet regularly, that would surely cause a flood of complaints.

Message 38 of 53 (739 Views)
Topics: 387
Ideas: 13
Solutions: 499

Andrew1000 wrote:

I can't believe that all VF routers drop their connections to the internet regularly, that would surely cause a flood of complaints. 

You would have thought!

I may be incorrect in saying this but I believe frequent drops in connection will also cause the exchange to reconfigure your line to a lower speed so this behaviour could result in you receiving lower than expected speeds!

Message 39 of 53 (735 Views)

Most people, like my dad, probably use the internet once or twice a day...  he would never notice if his vodafone router was rebooting or not.  Unless it didn;t work... it's all a probability thing.  :-)

I think for these routers it seems, if I remember right, the CPU/Mem usage spikes on the system and then the system reboots.   Do you know is it your connection is being reset or your router is rebooting ?       

Message 40 of 53 (734 Views)
Got a question?

Get help and technical support on Vodafone's devices, products and services from our online community

If your question relates directly to your account or mobile number please contact our customer services team.

My Vodafone

My Vodafone

Stay in control of your spending and manage your account online.

Register for My Vodafone

Top up