Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Broadband router device access controls

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have come from another ISP to Vodafone. The signal strength and reliability of  the router is better. But one area where the router is a let down is in the access (parental) controls. There is no way that I have found to set access times for indivdual devices. And PowerPlugs with associated wifi extender are not recognised as devices at all. Sure, I can turn devices on and off when I find them, but it does not allow me to say that device 'A' can have or is denied access between two certain times.

Other ISPs like Virgin and Plusnet enable this on their routers.Does anyone know if there is a workround to this? Will Vodafone update their firmware to give us more control?

7 REPLIES 7

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Anonymous
Not applicable

No. These are only blanket approaches that apply to all devices, i.e. the scheduler, or only to manual on and off for devices. I would like to be able to take say device 'A' and give it no access to the internet between 11pm and 6am, device B no access from 10 until 8, etc. etc. This is needed when children are different ages and have different ways of being able to connect to the router. A simple MAC address filter with timer that covers both LAN and WiFi is all that is required. ASUS and other routers have had it for ages, as does Plusnet and Virgin's offerings.

BandOfBrothers

Ah I see. 

Perhaps give them a bell. 

Got a question?

08080 034 515
(free from all UK landlines and mobiles)
Lines are open between 8am and 11pm, seven days a week

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks. Yes, done that already. I am afraid there firmware is limited compared to others in this area.

BandOfBrothers

Ok. 

My knowledge is a bit limited with Vodafones Broadband Connect. 

I use Bt and the Home Hub 5 which I believes has several settings within its login page. 

All posts are read by Vodafone so am sure the feedback in this will be fed back. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Chapelle1
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I feel my issue is related.  I am far from technical and I am happy that many networked devices come with plug and play instruction. I also moved from another ISP, and just wanted a better deal and a new experience.   I am finding that the Vodafone router is not connecting to my networked AV Reciever.  It picks up the IP address of the device but fails to connect. I had not such issues with my prevous router which was Belkin. It appears I cannot use this with the Vodafone service as they only want you to use their router.  This is a common concern, and surely Vodafone need to listen to this.  Its hardly revolutionary to allow customers to use there own router. Can I connect my Belkin router to my Vodafone router? I will try this and find out if this resolves the issue, but if no other solution I am cancelling my service

I have same problem. I will see when contract runs out and switch to Plusnet or someone who offers this facility.