Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Overseas Study

erinnthomaas
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hello!

I am moving abroad to Canada until May at the end of August and I'm just wondering what would be the best thing to do in regards to having a phone over there? I want a working phone travelling to canada and then possibly change to a canadian SIM - would that work? 

My 2 year contract with a samsung galaxy is ending at the end of August and I have no idea what next steps to take.

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! 

4 REPLIES 4

AnnS
17: Community Champion

Hi @erinnthomaas

The first thing to do is to terminate your UK contract.  If you want to keep the number, Vodafone will be able to put the number on PAYG, this will take 30 days to complete and providing the PAYG SIM is kept active with the occasional top up and a small chargeable activity, this will enable you to take a contract out with the same number when you return to the UK.  

You can find how the procedure from the link below, please remember to keep you direct debit open until you have received the final 0.00 bill.

Cancel Contract

You can also have the phone unlocked by Vodafone to enable you to use a Canadian SIM. Further info for you below.

Unlock phone

hrym

Just to add: make sure the number is transferred to PAYG before the cancellation process is started.   If it's not done in that order, you'll lose the number.   When you talk to Customer Services, be very clear what you want to do and make sure it's happened.  It might even be a good idea to go into a Vodafone shop, as they'll be able to supply the PAYG SIM and do the physical transfer to it.   If you cancel before the end of the contract, you'll need to pay an Early Termination Fee, which is the monthly rental minus the VAT and with a 2% discount.  As there's only a short time to go, the amount involved should be small.

donnyguy
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

First of all, get the phone unlocked

As per the post above. Fill out the link to ensure your phone will accept any sim when the time comes.

You want a working phone when you arrive in Canada....

So decide the date you want the line to go off, perhaps a week after you arrive in Canada (bear in mind you'll be paying £5 per day for the days you use it there)

Call Vodafone and give your 30 days notice

You'll need to give them 30 days notice so call at the end of July if you're wanting the line to go off at the end of August.

Do you want to keep your number?

If yes, then when you give your 30 days notice, ask to move to PAYG. If you're happy to lose your number then just ask them to disconnect it after the 30 days.

Annie_N
Community Champion (Retired)
Community Champion (Retired)

@erinnthomaas

With the much reduced PAYG prices for roaming outside of Europe from 5 August, at least for most countries (and Canada will be in RoW zone 1), it might be worth taking your present number with you on a PAYG account. BUT I believe that switching from PayM to PAYG takes a month; I don't think it can be done on the spot, so don't find yourself trying to activate a PAYG SIM after you've arrived in Canada - doing it from outside the UK is liable to end in tears.