cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Do you need to have credit on the free sim to unlock, i.e. have in use & call OUT for 30 days?

bignose2
4: Newbie

Have a SGS7, years out of contract but not used for ages & no sim

still locked to VF.

Could you have a free VF sim & simply keep ringing it from another phone so it is registered as "being used" for the 30 days or do you need to put credit on it & ring out or text out.

I know it means VF are losing a potential customer but we have paid our dues for well over 2 years. I am still with VF on the upgraded phone but would like a spare at home and seeing as VF have no signal & I rely on a sure signal (soon to be depleted anyway!) and won't work on PAYG I have no option.

Which would be a pain as have to drive out the get a signal to use anyway and in these times don't often leave the house anyway.

I just got a three sim that works great on another unlocked phone PAYG wifi calling & SMS over wifi.

Perhaps not the best of networks but at least works all ways at home.

When SS turned off later this year going to have reconsider anyway as my new/old SGS9 won't work with SMS over Wifi, may have to move networks with this or upgrade but current SGS9 edge is in mint & works fine.

Seems odd you can pay elsewhere for a service that can unlock just on the imei number & no 30 days use & VF who I assume have ultimate control are unable (or unwilling I guess, get the last few £'s out of you if they can)

2 REPLIES 2

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

What I personally advise a person is to pick up a Vodafone Payg sim card and top it up with the minimum amount and make a few calls and texts which helps to latch the phone's imei to the account and shows account activity too @bignose2 for those 30 days that Vodafone set their criteria for.

The other option is to use a reputable online unlocking site which would come at a cost to you via their fee.

Or use your current Vodafone sim card in it for 30 days and make the request if the sim is the right size.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

bignose2
4: Newbie

Answering my own question.

I was reluctant to pay for a £10 for sim I did not need or would use (or be able to as no signal at home) just to unlock and have to wait over a month.

I took a punt on someone on eBay, seemed legit'ish & good feedback but to be honest really did not expect it to work but it did.

Code arrived & Unlocked for £4.49 within 48 hours. If it was much more I probably would have either gone with VF sim as above or one of the more professional, direct www's.

Could not quite work out why charged more & sometimes nearer £20 for other networks/phones

Anyway v. pleased. Of course could have been a wasted £4.49 which would have gone to the proper £10.

Won't mention name as I might have been lucky and imagine not allowed to promote but just to say it is possible. cheaper & more importantly quicker with less fuss.