Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Flashing/steady power light, no other lights lit

Retired-George
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

We’ve created this thread to help with an issue that some people find during setup.

This issue has the following symptoms:

• The power light either constantly flashes or remains steady
  • No other lights flash or light up

Please note that whether the power light is flashing or remains steady, this still points to the same issue - the Sure Signal hasn't established a connection to the internet.

The only difference is that if the light’s steady, then the Sure Signal has previously downloaded a profile from the server, if it's flashing then it hasn't.

Troubleshooting steps:

Check the physical connection between your Sure Signal and the router/modem.

In order to work, the Sure Signal needs to be connected to a spare Ethernet port on your router or modem, or a Hub/Switch that is connected to an internet gateway.

In some cases, it’s possible for an Ethernet cable to be faulty, in which case it may not allow your router and Sure Signal to talk to each other.

To verify that the Ethernet cable works, check the lights at the back of your Sure Signal where the cable is plugged in.

There should be a link light on permanently which indicates that an electrical circuit has been established through the cable.

There should also be a light which flashes whenever data is being passed through the cable. If either the data light or the link light do not come on, this could indicate a problem with the cable itself. Please try a spare cable, or plug the cable into a different port on your router/modem.

Check that you’ve got an active internet connection.
Make sure you can connect to the internet on another device, such as your PC or phone. If you can’t connect, this indicates a problem with your router or your Internet Service Provider (ISP).

We recommend rebooting the router to see if this then allows you to connect to the internet.

Reboot your router/modem:

1. Turn off your router or modem at the wall for 10 seconds and then turn it back on
  2. Wait for the lights on your modem/router to indicate that an internet connection has been established
  3. Press the reset button on the Sure Signal

Check that your Sure Signal has been assigned an internal IP address by your router.

The Sure Signal must be assigned an internal IP address by your router. If your router supports DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol), this must be enabled, as doing so will enable the router to assign an IP address to your Sure Signal automatically.

For more instructions on how to do this, please check your router manual, or contact your ISP or router manufacturer.

If your router or network configuration doesn’t allow DHCP, you’ll need to assign a static IP address to your Sure Signal's MAC Address by using your router's configuration panel. Please contact your ISP or router manufacturer for instructions on how to do this. The MAC address can be found on the sticker at the back of the Sure Signal.

BT Infinity customers.

If you’re a BT Infinity customer, you’ll need to log into your router admin page and select port clamping.

Once this has been selected please restart your router and Sure Signal.

Check your MTU settings.

Log into your router admin page and find the location of the MTU field. This varies depending on the make and model so you’ll need to look for it.

Change the value of the MTU size to 1500.

Log out of the router, this will usually result in a reboot.

Perform a reset of the Sure Signal:

1. Hold in the reset button until all lights go solid
  2. Pull the power lead out with the reset button still pushed in
  3. Continue to hold down the reset button and reconnect the power lead
  4. Wait for all lights to come on and then release the reset button

The Sure Signal will now try to contact the network and download its profile. This can take up to 6 hours.

Post your router/ISP details and Sure Signal serial number.

If you’ve done all of the above, or you’re struggling with configuring your router, please post your router's make and model number below. Please also include your Sure Signal serial number and the name of your ISP.

We find that other users of the same router will usually be able to share tips with you, to get things working.

We’ll also attempt to help with this, but due to the number of different manufacturers and models, it is not always possible. We don’t officially support any form of router configuration, so we’ll always recommend contacting your router manufacturer or ISP for assistance first.

Thanks,

Jenny

1,304 REPLIES 1,304

Retired-Lee
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Good afternoon sh,

Many thanks for your post regarding the Sure Signal suddenly stopping working.

Has anything changed with your ISP that you are aware of?

Can you post back the results of a speedtest?

You say you've worked through the troubleshooting 'as best you can'. Where have you worked up to?

When did the change happen? I've checked your VSS serial number and everything looks fine at our end.

If you can get back to me with some of the requested answers I'll see what more I can do to help.

Cheers,

Lee

eForum Team

MJP1968
1: Seeker

For some reason the link light at the back of my Sure Signal box is not flashing. I have checked the cable and it is fine.

Other than that the Power light is on constantly but nothing else. I have rebooted the router and tried pretty much everything else. Can I only conclude that it is a hardware issue  an the Sure Signal box/connection itself is faulty.

t had been working fine and after my mains electricity was off and ion it seems to have stopped from there?

Any guidance would be good - the last thing I want to do is have to buy a new replacement box.

Thanks

Retired-Lee
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi there MJP1968,

Cheers to you for letting me know about this and thanks for checking the physical connection.

The mains electricity being off seems to be the fault inducing action in this case. The fact it's been working perfectly till then wouldn't necessarily indicate a hardware fault and the fact the link light isn't coming on would indicate a faulty cable.

Tell me; how did you test the cable?

Have you tried an alternative port on the router/modem?

If you can get back to me with these answers then I should be able to sort this one out for you.

Cheers,

Lee

eForum Team

Bealk01
2: Seeker

Starting to seem like a vey odd consequence that so many have the same problem.

My problems also began whilst away on holiday and returned to the solid single red light of death. Established with 2nd line support that somehow the box had deregistered itself whilst I was away (most odd) so box was re-registered, re sync'd etc etc and of course no joy.

Box serial number 21229354788 installed November 2010 as a replacement for one of the original Gateway boxes that also suffered the red light of death. It turns out that the second line support member tried to register the previous box to my account so on a second attempt with the right serial number and all the resyncs and resets away we went and viola the single 'flashing' light of death is all that remains.

No problem with the internet, BT business broadband and has been for last 4 years. Router Netgear DGN1000 again unchanged. 

So after a week without any phone signal unless I stand at the end of the street, and two independent businesses that can't receive or make calls, I gave up on Vodafone support and purchased a new box in the hope of getting things back on track.

Registration nice and easy and then nothing... Just a single red light after initiation. Only good news is I think these two problems might be different. My latest I suspect is a router problem. For those familiar with the DGN1000 router you will know that as well as having terrible range, dropping connection all the time, allocating 2 devices the same IP address and needing resetting everytime you try to use a MACBook Pro device, it also refuses to recognise any device with a mac address that does not start with 00. Guess what, the new sure signal starts with 50 so I suspect the router is just blocking it, of course there my be something else but a new router will also be necessary.

So what's going on Vodafone, my original box died as a result of a suspected firmware upgrade, is this the same for box number 2. Anyone in the world of IT will be aware that any soft/firmware upgrades always leave some device or two in conflict with another on someone's machine and needs to be put right, is this what is happening.

As for the mac address, some kind of warning would be good as it would save time and heartache.

Ultimately the answer is simple, change carrier to one with coverage, the more things you put in circuit to fix things, the more there are to go wrong.

My final challenge, which router to buy. Check out feedback reviews and they all have shortcomings, so anyone who has a BT connection, uses 3 or more Mac PCs, Blackberry Torch on Wi-Fi and a Sure Signal 2 box, and lives in a two storey house with good range, I would love your recommendation.

Thanks to the prompt and helpful service from the web support team, I got a replacement Suresignal and it is now working. 48 hours from making my post above!

sara_shore

I have the new Sure Signal, I have tried everything and all I get is the power light on steady after the first 10-15 minutes.  I have had the ports I need opened and still get nothing can you please help with any suggestions

Serial no of VSS is 40113112375

Thank you

Sara

Hi sara_shore,

I can see we resynced your VSS on the 15/10/11. Did you factory reset the unit afterwards? If not, could you do the honours?

• Hold down the reset button till all the lights come on or flash (about 30 seconds)
  • Keeping the reset button held, remove and re-insert the power lead
  • Release the reset button once all the lights have flashed or come on again
  • The VSS should come online within the hour

Kindest regards,

Lee

eForum Team

Chicadee

D Link DSL 2640S Router fro Sky

SS Serial 40112200106

Flashing lights all day and have been through all the help points.

Thanks

Seems fine this morning....Let's hope it stays that way

mariap

Hi, I've tried the relevant trouble shooting and am still getting the flashing light. All is connected OK, my broadband is working OK and I have the lights on at the side to show that connection is sound. I am using BT Internet with a Home Hub broadband. The serial number of the Sure Signal box is 21227724537. Please help as I get no signal at all without this box. Thanks